Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

Super Ebay Photo

3K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  gunnertwo 
#1 ·
It went for over $250!!!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Interestingly, the C-96 broomhandle stocks don't appear to be in the usual full length leather harness. The stocks appear to be suspended by a light colored shoulder strap (canvas?) that somehow attaches to the wood or hinge-plate. The standing soldier on the far left best shows the strap, but the reclining soldier on the right has the best image of the attachment to the stock which is too small for me to make out. Since almost all Imperial accepted stocks I've seen do not have the lanyard staple on the hinge - how is the strap attached? Can someone get a close-up? Did the first Imperial accepted stocks have the lanyard staple? The earliest date I've ever seen on a harness is 1915 or 1916, so were these used before the harness? Thanks...it is a great picture.
Tim H.

#3 ·
Tim, the uniforms date the photo in either 1914 or 1915. I'm sure that the stocks are the early type with the staple.

#5 ·
"prewar small ring" were issued to German. Some historical photos illustrated that. The stock was prewar style, it had a loop on hinge. There were believable WWI era unit-marked C96 rig samples as well (rare), all appeared are "prewar" small ring. Today's "wartime" 7.63 and Red 9 were actually late war products. Those C96 made in 1914 and 1915 were very high quality. The products of 1917, 18 were more like military functional guns.

#7 ·
Hello All,
Interesting indeed. I have another original here in my collection of historical photos. Please have a look here to see my photo:

http://www.lugerlp08.com/historical pictures.htm

Is the 6th photo from the top.

I have to be honest, I have paid more money for some photos I have here in my collection.

Cheers,
Mauro

#9 ·
It appears there are two common type latches on each end of the carry strap that attach to the staple. Is this an improvised item also used for other equipment or is it a carry sling made specifically for the broom stock? I've collected alot of brooms over the years but never encountered one of these. Possibly we've seen them but didn't know what they were?
Tim H.

#10 ·
There was a prewar photo showing a German NCO having a C96 inside wood stock hanging on one side of his chest position via shoulder strap, no leather frog harness. Probably that's one way of carrying these.. tactically, there was an advantage, the gun could be drawn out and attached to stock quickly. But if he had to crawl on ground, having a big pistol rig on his chest position must be very awkward.

#13 ·
I think these are bread bag loops. They used them on anything that needed carrying.

I know from my own army days that improvised equipment was plentiful.

#15 ·
Both the helmets and sabres indicate that they are artillery troops. The cavalry used a straight bladed sabre.

#16 ·
I'll own up, I'm the buyer. It had all the things I like, lots of LP08's, Broom's, spikes and swords. Have been on a WWI kick due to the anniversary of the war. Cameras were not prevalent so photographers had to set up for the events. Not like WWII when everybody had a camera. Plus, it's the fault of many here posting pics of their vintage cards. I do find it interesting it's the same photo as on Mauro's webpage.

Can you imagine the thoughts and comments of those in the photograph if we could tell them how desired their pistols, helmets and swords are 100 years later? Could they fathom the monetary value of those items in comparison to the pay they received for their military service? It's a moment frozen in time.

G2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.