Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

Sauer & Sohn Model 1929 - Amsterdam Police

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  jps-s 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 ·
very nice find. so is it just the serial number range to ID that they are one of the Amsterdam Police guns? or should there also be some identification mark? I notice your gun is 220 outside the reported range. now, in some instances that is not set range but just a guide. while other guns its an exact science. if your outside this range by 1 number it doesn't count. Hopefully more light will be shed in this thread. again fascinating find and thanks for sharing!

#3 ·
Hi Bruno,

Congratulations for acquiring this rare bird!

Regarding the number of Sauer 29 acquired by the Amsterdam police I still can’t offer verified numbers. The majority I saw so far are in the 218xx to 220xxx SN range, but it doesn’t seem to be a closed block. Highest confirmed in my own database currently is SN 220238. I still don’t know, how many were bought by the Amsterdam police. The only thing I can add is an Amsterdam Police still I made…..

Best regards

Martin

#5 ·
Amsterdam & Rotterdam

Hi Martin,

Thank you for your input and presentation

As regards the quantity of pistols procured by Amsterdam police, would it be comparable to the demographic situation in Rotterdam in the 1930's?

In the following post, I referred to Pender who wrote there would have been around 1,200 Mauser pocket pistols procured by Rotterdam police at that time (before being replaced by PPK's). If population numbers of those cities were equivalent or different (=?), that could help approximate the number of pistols (namely M1929's) procured by Amsterdam police... What do you think?

http://luger.gunboards.com/showthread.php?37073-Mauser-1914-marked-%AB-POLITIE-%96-ROTTERDAM-%BB

Post-note:
In 1920, Rotterdam had reached 500,000, while Amsterdam was at 647,000 approx.

#6 ·
Bruno, I can add nothing more to this discussion as it is rather complete. I have had your pistol's serial number and description in my Sauer database for a long time. I was wondering where you found this "little lost sheep." Best regards, Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.