Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

C96 Engraving question

1K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Ron Wood 
#1 ·
Attached are photos of a nice C96....Is the engraving on the LH side a known retailer?...

.....Thanks

See less See more
#8 ·
I noted some different machining on the front of the magazine well. Is this unique? Is this a Banner chamber in 9mm export? A beautiful example. I would not call it engraved, it is more like a maker/owner marked.

Ron you can achieve straight lines and sharp corners with a pantograph, using a non-rotating diamond cutting tip but if the owner's name is period, I believe it would have of been done by hand.

Regards,

#9 ·
All, As noted above, their are no "scribe lines" for the engraver to follow; to keep his work lined up properly...The letters appear deeper than if they were hand engraved and the regular cuts inside each letter makes it appear that a rotary tool/instrument was used; a pantograph. A very nice piece.

Rick Engel
NRA Benefactor Member
NAPCA Member

#12 ·
Sorry guys, that is not a pantographed marking. Light engraving lines can be cut by pushing or "walking" the graver just by hand. Heavier or deeper lines require mechanical assistance to move the engraving tool through the metal, usually by tapping with a small hammer. This produces the small incremental steps that can be seen in the engraving of the subject pistol. Many modern engravers use an air driven piston engraving tool, I think that one of the trade names for such a devise is "Gravermeister" or something like that. Once the heavy lines have been cut, a fine engraver may choose to go back over the cuts by hand to cut or burnish out the little steps or "chatter marks" but almost inevitably some vestiges of the steps remain.
Yes, lines can be cut with a non-rotating cutter in a pantograph, but only shallow cuts are possible. You see this style of engraving frequently on jewelry or other keepsakes that receive monograms or other personalized inscriptions.
Ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.