Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

Ortgies holster with Luftwaffen acceptance

5K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  k98man 
#1 ·
Shown here is a very rare Ortgies holster. The imprints for a longtime use with an Ortgies pistol can be seen obviously.
The mag pouch was reworked for a long time also.
On the rear side the holster is stamped HK in a cirle + Luftwaffen acceptance E/L 2 + 1940.
I have never seen another Krieghoff produced holster than for the CZ 24!
In my opinion the thought on a fake cannot arise because I got the holster for a rock bottom price and the stampings are really old.
Are there perhaps other HK holsters ?

I wish you a Happy New Year.

Fritz

Download Attachment: 13.12. 047.jpg
204.76 KB

Download Attachment: 13.12. 049.jpg
214.38 KB

Download Attachment: 13.12. 052.jpg
142.56 KB

Download Attachment: 13.12. 055.jpg
260.45 KB

Download Attachment: 13.12. 061.jpg
265.36 KB

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello Fritz...

I have the identical holster. While I could tell it was an HK holster, I never really looked further to see the other markings until I read your post. I did not know what kind of pistol it was for. It was a little too big for a PPK, but that is where my speculation ended.

Here are some pics I took this morning. Markings are hard to see, and you will just have to take my word for it - the markings are the same as yours: HK in a circle, the Luftwaffe eagle, and "40" next to it.

Download Attachment: DSC00369_00.JPG
226.29KB

Download Attachment: DSC00370_00.JPG
238.49KB

Download Attachment: DSC00371_00.JPG
211.34KB

Download Attachment: DSC00372_00.JPG
200.72KB

Download Attachment: DSC00374_00.JPG
208.63KB

I thank you for helping me to identify this holster. It is pictured with my pawn shop Ortgies, and as you can see, it fits the holster like a hand in glove.

Cheers,
Gary

#4 ·
Fritz...

Nice holster. Do you know: were Ortgies favored by certain branches of the service, such as Luftwaffe, over other branches? Were any of the Ortgies in service with the armed forces import marked? Why did the Luftwaffe, for instance, favor the P37? Just procurement patterns?

I have always assumed all the ones marked "germany" were exported. I would take one that is non-export marked as a probably GI bring-back.

Any thoughts?

Prosit Neujahr!

Gary

#5 ·
Fritz......Some pictures of a holster brought back by a good friend who served under Patton. It had a French "Audax" 7.65 in it. He gave it to me back in about 1969 and unfortunately he is no longer with us so I can't ask him about the details.......

Download Attachment: MVC-001S.JPG
20.68KB

Download Attachment: MVC-002S.JPG
44.71KB

Download Attachment: MVC-003S.JPG
21.27KB

Download Attachment: MVC-004S.JPG
69.44KB

Download Attachment: MVC-005S.JPG
39.92KB

#6 ·
Gary,

Unfortunately I can not give satisfying answers on your questions.
The Ortgies pistol was never proposed as a standart service sidearm .
But some of them were used as substitude sidearms for the officers personel purchase.
The two Luftwaffen holsters of this particular kind found by us are a little sensation and I hope that more than it will be discovered.
Nearly all Ortgies with the typical "Germany" export stamp went in the U.S.A..
I cannot explain why the use of the P37 was limited on the Luftwaffe.
At that time, many measures for the obtaining and production of weapons were not logical.

Regards

Fritz

#7 ·
Hello...

Fritz, I think that's about as good as answer as I have seen up to this point. I think the vagaries of procurement were responsible for these Fremdengeräte supposedly being "favored" by the Luftwaffe. My guess is that most air personnel would, given their druthers, have favored a Walther or a Mauser, instead of an FN 1922, an Ortgies, or a P37 Femaru. I wonder if the story of the Luftwaffe "favoring" certain arms was dreamed up by some enterprising dealer as a means of selling more guns. However, I am open to alternative explanations of this phenomenon.

Thanks,
Gary

#9 ·
Fritz,
indeed this is a more than interesting holster which I have not seen before but it is for sure original. I am pretty sure that Heinrich Krieghoff never produced any leather goods. Krieghoff was a pure metal production company. So all the HK and/or anchor marked holsters were produced as a contract for Heinrich Krieghoff and were accepted by the Luftzeugamt 2 as the eagle is telling us. Hope there will come out more resonance fromother members on this exciting topic.
Regards
Dietrich

#8 ·
Fritz,
indeed this is a more than interesting holster which I have not seen before but it is for sure original. I am pretty sure that Heinrich Krieghoff never produced any leather goods. Krieghoff was a pure metal production company. So all the HK and/or anchor marked holsters were produced as a contract for Heinrich Krieghoff and were accepted by the Luftzeugamt 2 as the eagle is telling us. Hope there will come out more resonance fromother members on this exciting topic.
Regards
Dietrich

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.