Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: opinions on 1917 deaths head

Default opinions on 1917 deaths head

thanks in advance for any help- I am able to pick this from a long standing collector and would like opinions as to being original or "enhanced" and possible value- I had it in hand yesterday and these were the pics I took. it is a good solid piece- all numbers matching and in good condition
    download (38).jpgdownload (36).jpgdownload (37).jpg

Tinley, long standing collector? Offer the man a seat will you? Prey tell, what did this collector fellow value it at? It certainly has a couple of abnormalities..
    Jerry Burney
    11491 S. Guadalupe Dr.
    Yuma AZ 85367
    [email protected]

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
    719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."

I will probably "oversimplify" but basically there are two types of Death's Head lugers; obvious fakes and likely fakes. JMHO.
    That said I do have one, but paid only a little more than the "non DH" price for it as a novelty.
    My example is much like yours, with post WWI Suhl area commercial proofing - the horizontal Crown/N; one difference is that your barrel has been replaced.

Experienced and long time collectors will argue and theorize about these lugers and their "provenance", I have and will also; but deciding if any individual specimen is legit(if indeed any are) is near impossible, again JMHO.

Welcome to the board; you picked the deep end for your first post!
    03man - Don Voigt
    Luger student and collector
    Looking for DWM mil.side plates- 69 and commercial # 32, Dreyse "K.S.Gendarmerie"

Quote Originally Posted by 03man View Post
    I will probably "oversimplify" but basically there are two types of Death's Head lugers; obvious fakes and likely fakes. JMHO.
    That said I do have one, but paid only a little more than the "non DH" price for it as a novelty.
    My example is much like yours, with post WWI Suhl area commercial proofing - the horizontal Crown/N; one difference is that your barrel has been replaced.

Experienced and long time collectors will argue and theorize about these lugers and their "provenance", I have and will also; but deciding if any individual specimen is legit(if indeed any are) is near impossible, again JMHO.

thanks, with the numbers that appear to be matching, what indicates the barrel being replaced?

He has passed away and I am friends with his widow- he had a large collection. I recently picked a 1906 American Eagle in 9mm from there and she is asking $3500

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair View Post
    Tinley, long standing collector? Offer the man a seat will you? Prey tell, what did this collector fellow value it at? It certainly has a couple of abnormalities..
    He has passed away and I am friends with his widow- he had a large collection. I recently picked a 1906 American Eagle in 9mm from there- she is asking $3500

Quote Originally Posted by 03man View Post

thanks, I think I get it- no numbers on the barrel to prove it is original to the weapon, is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by tinley View Post
    thanks, with the numbers that appear to be matching, what indicates the barrel being replaced?
    The barrel lacks a serial number, it is marked 8,8 m/m but standard marking would be 8,82 without the m/m, and as has been mentioned it bears commercial proofing.
    Like Don, I also own a DH Luger which I am fairly confident is authentic. But I will never be able to prove it
    Ron
    If it is made after 1918...it is a reproduction.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Wood View Post
    The barrel lacks a serial number, it is marked 8,8 m/m but standard marking would be 8,82 without the m/m, and as has been mentioned it bears commercial proofing.
    Like Don, I also own a DH Luger which I am fairly confident is authentic. But I will never be able to prove it
    Ron

thanks for the info!

Some barrels on commercial Lugers are not marked with serial numbers - so that doesn't prove it was re-barreled. What does is the combination of the military acceptance marks and proof on the receiver PLUS the crown/N commercial nitro proof on the receiver and barrel.

The firearm would have left the factory with the military acceptance marks, but the crown/N was added later when the firearm was re barreled and re-proofed.

When they said that they would pay a small increment over it's normal value for the novelty of unique markings, they were talking about perhaps $50, not paying 3x what the firearm is actually worth - which is what you're seller is offering it to you at.

It's a nice DWM that was re barreled in Europe at some time after it left the factory (making it non-matching) and has had the nebulous "death's head" mark added at some point. I might buy it as a shooter, and novelty like Don mentioned, but that's just me... And I would not pay $1100 for it.
    Igitur si vis pacem, para bellum -
    - if you wish for peace, prepare for war.

I agree with Mark on the pricing, $3500 is nutz!
    Maybe $1100 as an "interesting" shooter, but that is all it is. JMHO.
    03man - Don Voigt
    Luger student and collector
    Looking for DWM mil.side plates- 69 and commercial # 32, Dreyse "K.S.Gendarmerie"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast