Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

32 round snail drum

25K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  mystic11 
#1 ·
These are George andersons directions to me for loading the German Luger 32 round snail drum.
Then my experiences with fireing it!

First turn the crank one full turn and lock with button. You may be able to hand load a few rounds while the crank is locked. I don't bother. Spray an ample amount of light oil into the magazine through the tube (you may want to do this a day before).

Next, lock the loader in place over the throat of the mag and begin feeding rounds into it you will quickly find that you need to push them down with the plunger after each round.

I would recommend that on the first go with each of your mags that you only go to 20 rounds. If they prove to function well then you may want to top them off.

After you have finished loading the mags and before you remove the loader unlock the crank and let it slowly return to a resting position. After folding the handle into place you should see that the end of the handle points to the number on the face of the mag that corresponds to the number of rounds loaded. With the loader still in place tap the magazine body a couple of times to get the spring to open and put full tension against the rounds loaded. You may want to spray more oil down the tube to lube the rounds a bit.

Remove the loader and you should be ready to go. Be sure to wear old clothes as there will be alot of oil splattering around the gun and mag. Have fun. geo

Those are great directions! First loaded the 20 rounds, no problems except for a small one. The drum is difficult to seat with the bolt closed. I suspect the tension is too great and will not push the top round down enough to lock.
Secondly, with the bolt locked back, the bolt will not go forward and strip a round...I could not detect why but if the mag is slightly lowered a round can be stripped, enter the chamber, the mag is seated and it fires all rounds without a hitch!
I first fired the 20, as you suggested, the mag handle pointed to the 20 as you said, then the 32 rounds were loaded and again the mag handle indicated the number loaded.
I fired it with the original stock and at around 100 yards it fired to point of aim. I did not re align the sight but shot over it rapid fire, I sure as hell would not want to be in front of that kind of firepower! This would be a good weapon to defend a machine gun emplacement or sweep a trench!
I thank you very much for the help George...Jerry

Download Attachment: Untitled.jpg
54.69KB

See less See more
#28 · (Edited)
THANK YOU its going to be a while till I do any shooting due to my falls/surgeries. This Forum more than any other has members that enjoy Lugerdom! No real competing but more sharing the excitement and willing to assist one another. Like showing a new car to kick the wheels and just as good having never started one up or fired!. I confess I now own eight and never yet fired any. I must again take this opportunity to thank George Anderson who filled a void and can trust. And you other three! You know who you are! Seriously thanks to all who put up with my 'Obsessive Compulsive Behavior' TKS Eric

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.