Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

Estonian Contract High Power M1935

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Tim Hawkins 
#1 ·
I wasn't sure which section to place this so I figured this was the closest.
This is an Estonian Contract High Power with the correct Estonian holster. According to Anthony Vanderlinden's Fn Browning Pistols Side Arms That Shaped World History. In 1937 Estonia plance and order with FN (FABRIQUE NATIONALE HERSTAL) for 5338 pistols for the Estonian Military. The pistols were factory marked with ascending contract numbers. Additionally, the pistols were randomly marked with "K.L." or "E.V." on the grip strap. The Army received 3038 pistols marked "E.V." for EESTI VABARIK (REPUBLIC OF ESTONIA) and 2300 were marked "K.L." for "KAITSELIIT" (HOME GUARD) for issue to the Home Guard. The Boarder patrol was issued 100 unmarked pistols. The contract was filled by December 1937.

The holster pattern was manufactured in Estonia and was originally attached to a domestically made should-stock. The holsters were removed, cut and used with a belt loop. This occurred because the pistols were ordered without shoulder-stocks or holsters.

This particular gun is "E.V." marked and is all original and all matching, non-import and has the correct pre-war commercial magazine. This holster still shows the original stock attachment holes.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks guys for the comments. I was thrilled to find it and Martin, Yes, it was up there but not as high as my Finnish Lahti or my German contract Astra 900. These come up so rarely that I talked my wife into an advance on my allowance LOL. And Bill, yes I recall seeing your post on your holster. One of the few threads on this site regarding the Estonian HP. It is a nice one.

#9 ·
Sam,
Very, very nice gun. Thanks for the pictures. You referred to the magazine as a "pre-war commercial" mag. Is it unmarked? Is there anything stamped on the base of the spine? I ask because my only pre-war High Power(commercial)is a 1938 Chinese contract and the mag spine has a unique marking of a small oval containing 3 verticle lines of various length. A fellow collector looked at this recently and had seen few, if any. I've always had some curiosity about markings on the mags of pre-war contracts. Thanks for the help. You have a great gun.
Tim H.

#10 ·
Tim, Thanks for the comments. To answer your question, see the pic attached of mine. I gleaned what I know from what Anthony has relayed over the years on posts and then his book. The prewar commercial are phosphate finished and ID'd by the split tail floor plate. They have the regular FN acceptance (the A inside a square) and possibly an inspectors number. However this is not always holding true. according to his book, some commercial contract guns were also shipped with Belgian Army proofs on the rear of the magazine. That would be the H inside a circle. So its quite possibly correct to have a Belgian Army accepted magazine on a commercial contract gun. To make matters worse he also states that the Lithuanian inspectors put their marks on a lot of magazines and many Prewar guns bear the Lithuanian "Pillars of Gediminas" not only on the magazine spine but even some of the internal parts! I have not seen anywhere what you describe as a circle with three lines. but its possible it is the Lithuanian mark. I hope that helps somewhat.

Attachments

#12 ·
Sam, thanks for the help and the picture.
Tim H.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.