Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

Could use some help, found a P08 artillery 1917 + holster in an old farm, all matching

7K views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  Doubs 
#1 ·
Hi folks,
I got a call yesterday to assist an older guy, he found several weapons in his parents farm after they passed away.

So, went to there, the classic huntingrifles aside there was only one weapons of any interest.
A DWM 1917 Luger Artillery. Including the holster.
All visual serials seems to be matching, wooden mag is matching and so on. General condition is fair to good. Needs some love and attention.
The pics are horrible but the light conditions were poor. So, what details can you tell about this one. Rare in its kind?

Thanks
Paco

[URL=http://s13.photobucket.com/user/joeplf/media/Po8%20Luger%20tools/DSCN9876_zpsxcbcoytm.jpg.html]

[/URL]

See less See more
#2 ·
Paco,
posting under one sub-section would be sufficient.
this will get confusing with duplicate or different answers on two threads- both for you and us. JMHO.

#3 ·
Discussion consolidated here...

You have a 1917 DWM Artillery Luger with some need of preservation and lubrication. It doesn't look like it has the fine adjustment sights that appeared on earlier Artillery Lugers.

The holster has had some significant damage, but a skilled person like Jerry (LugerHolsterRepair) could improve it. It was modified at some point for a different carry angle instead of normal use with it's stock.

I would not call it particularly rare, but it looks collectible and desirable.

#4 ·
It is an LP08 model luger that needs some oiling. There may be some light rust that needs arresting. It having been stored in the holster (it seems) has pitted the left side and sideplate--this is a good example of how not to store and care for a luger. The tool has what appears to be a lot of surface rust from being stored in its tool pouch.

The holster was modified most probably for belt wear and use in WW2. The condition of the grip wood suggests it has not suffered from a lot of wear -- more grip wear is seen on well-used lugers.

#5 ·
1917 was a transition year for LP-08 rear sights. Some had the fine tune sights but as production proceeded, they gave way to the sights you see on yours. Earlier Artillery Lugers also had fine tune front sights and they were the first to be eliminated in order to speed production. Yours has the standard front sight.

Your Luger is collectible although the corrosion on the side plate and elsewhere lowers it's value somewhat. Below is a picture of a fine tune rear sight so you can compare it to yours.

#17 ·
Some members here are in Europe, they can comment on EU value.
I believe if you have the rest of your collection insured, you don't need to increase it for the artillery luger! :)

#25 ·
Values vary by region. Here, I'd estimate your Luger at around $1800-$1900 in it's shown condition.

Are you a member of the BVVW? I was in Liege last year to speak about Paul Mauser at the Curtius Museum at an event organized by the BVVW...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSt4R4WewoASxF0VALbfPiu3hO_QKOxMo

For a valuation within Europe, I'd ask members of the BVVW locally.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.