Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Llama Model I Rig, GECO import 1943

Default Llama Model I Rig, GECO import 1943

I just wanted to share my latest find that I happened to stumble across. It is an all Original, all Matching GECO Marked Llama model I rig imported to Germany in 1943.

This gun is considered a secondary weapon as it was never an official army procured pistol. According to Whittington's; German Pistols and Holsters 1934-1945 ,1000 were imported by GECO in 1943 and 1944 in 9mm kurtz and 7.65 cal. who then sold them privately to German officers or Nazi organization members who were allowed to purchase one. They can be found between the serial number range of 60,000 to 76,000. The pistols were manufactured in 1943 and 1944 and bear the Eibar proof of either ( bar/N stamp on the left hand side of the frame) or 1944 ( star/O stamp ). The Geco trade mark was struck on different places. On this one it is beside the serial number on the right side of the frame. Directly beneath the serial number is a stylized "GC", which stands for Gabilondo Y Cia, the manufacturer.

The gun only has one serial number and then is matched by assembly numbers, which are found on the frame under the left grip, the barrel, under the slide and the slide stop.

The gun came with it's period Ersatz holster and two magazine. The one is a later war time manufacture with only witness slots while the other is earlier with witness holes. Not much more information is out there on these such as how many in each caliber were imported by GECO. The 9mm Kurtz do seem to be more rare than the 7.65 cal. I assume the 1,000 reported in Whittington's refers to both calibers.

As always comments are welcome as well an any additional information.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sam.

Absolutely fantastic rig, Sam!!!! Congrats!!!!!!!!!

Congrats, great guns these Llama's.
    Best regards,
    Kris

Great pick up, Sam! (you got the whole rig!)...Some day I'd like to add a war time one to my collection.
    Joe
    JOSEPH MAY

Thanks guys for the comments. Yes Joe, I bought as an entire rig! I feel blessed as I have seen one other wartime rig and it came in an identical Ersatz holster. It could be however that being privately purchased the officer could choose among any style holster GECO had on hand and other holsters seen with the Llama are still appropriate. I am really amazed by the construction of the gun and can not figure out why the Army didn't place an order for these. They purchased the Astra 300 in both 7.65 cal as well 9mm kurtz. as well as the 600 and even a few 900 models. Maybe Llama could just could not produce the Volume that Astra could? but seeing that this was offered in both calibers I find it strange that a contract was never secured.
    Sam.

VERY cool !
    I've never seen one of these in the flesh.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Ned

Congrats Sam!!! Nice pick up!

Thanks guys for the comments. Ned, I know I almost passed it by. I thought it was a colt commander pre-70 series until I took a closer look. and welcome to the forum Nooch!
    Sam.

Congratulations and that is one super nice rig
    FFL03\COE

that is very nice, just as well you took a second look

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast