Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

Nazi marked 1910 Mauser pistols

7K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  english 
#1 ·
Saw one on Gunbroker. I was wondering whether such things are legit. Did the Nazis enter .25 pistols into service or whatever the action would be to warrant stamping them with acceptance marks?

#2 ·
Military inspector marks would reflect acceptance of quality and function complying with some military contract.

It was common for officers to privately procure Mauser pocket pistols for their own defense, but I'm not aware of government military contracts during WW-II for purchasing these.

Dies approximating these marks are routinely available overseas on Ebay from sellers in Eastern Europe.

#5 ·
To my knowledge no .25 caliber Mauser Pistols were accepted by any military or police organization during the 3rd Reich era. I have seen one .25 caliber Mauser pistol marked with an Weimar era naval marking but I found it to be questionable. All other .25 caliber Mauser pistols, that bare a waffen acceptance mark that I have seen were obvious fakes. I look at the use of the term "Nazi" to describe an example of a WWII pistol to be inaccurate unless the example is clearly connected to the political party. This would only be accurate to describe NSDAP and SA marked examples. That is my perspective and I know because of its use, many would not agree.

Regards,

#12 ·
Perhaps in light of the information presented in the book "Dienstwaffen der deutschen Polizei und Gendarmerie/ Weimar Republik 1919-1932", it is time to revisit your statement. Data presented in the book demonstrates the procurement and use of Mauser 1910 pistols by at least two police authorities during the Weimar Republic. And, documentation has shown the continued use of inventoried weapons of the Weimar era by Third Reich police and the use of 6,35mm pistols by Third Reich police forces. So I find no reason to discount the continued use of these Mauser 1910s by Kriminalpolizei authorities.

I agree the term "Nazi" is a generalized appellation used often by novice collectors or dealers to describe anything used in the era of the Third Reich. But I believe the term can be correctly applied to any police procured weapons regardless of the date of procurement. While the "uniformed police" was technically controlled by the Ministry of the Interior and funded under their budget, control after June 1936 was exercised by a department of the SS, a Nazi party formation. Likewise, the plainclothes police forces (Sicherheitspolizei-Kripo and Gestapo) were likewise directly controlled by a separate department of the SS.

#9 ·
Yes, the rare Portuguese nazi 1910... :D

Indeed, faked markings.

From the sellers description:
"A Nazi marked Portuguese contract Mauser 1910 is very hard to find.".

Hard to find because they don't exist.

#13 ·
All these pistols were commercially proofed and not directly linked to the NSDAP.

Suggesting every German is a nazi because they live in Germany is just as silly as calling a pistol a nazi pistol because it was sold in Germany between 1933 and 1945.

A military pistol is not a nazi pistol.
A police pistol is not a nazi pistol.
A commercial pistol is not a nazi pistol.
A party member pistol, yeah, ok. If the party paid for it.

#17 ·
Well I guess we can agree to disagree. I did not expand to all the generalities with which you disagree, but the SS is most certainly a part of the NSDAP. Its affiliation was recognized in party literature as well as by the post-war powers. While still maintaining the fiction of a police force under state authority and financial support, Himmler and his senior SS-Police Generals controlled the uniformed police as well as the plain clothes police from June 1936 until the end of the war. In fact, Himmler's post war aim was to effect the merger of the SS and police into a Staat Schutz Korps. Of course all pre-1936 police procured pistols were commercially marked, and some marked further with particular property markings. But after the centralization of the police, new commercial production acquisitions were accepted by police and marked with a variation of the state/party eagle and letter that incorporated a swastika. Commercial pistols marked with the RZM were procured by the Gestapo, as were later pure commercial pistols. And most pre-Nazi era police weapons were maintained in inventory and used by the Nazi era police.

Of course you realize Party Member (PL) pistols were not paid for by the party. Individual PLs had to pay for their own weapon. So does that mean they are only commercial and not Nazi?

#14 ·
Roy, I have learned to never say never when talking about Mausers. I did not say that they were not used by the military or police. I said "To my knowledge no .25 caliber Mauser Pistols were accepted by any military or police organization during the 3rd Reich era". What I meant is that I have yet to see a .25 caliber Mauser pistol that has German, 3rd Reich weapon acceptance marks, that have not been fakes. The markings are usually not correct or not consistent with period markings that were used. I am certain that private purchased .25 caliber Mauser pistols were used by military personnel and would expect police would also use anything that was available to them. They would not necessarily have been marked.

Regards,

#18 ·
I realized that I over-generalized your comments that I quoted. And I offered information about pistols from the Weimar era that would have been kept in inventory and use by Nazi controlled police forces in Germany. I apologize to putting meaning in your post that was not there. I was just attempting to point out that 6,35mm pistols remained in service and perhaps were purchased new by Third Reich police forces. Of course the last point is speculation. And considering budgetary considerations, those forces would have gone for a cheaper quality pistol than Mauser products. Ha.

#15 ·
The Heereswaffenamt procurement documents I have seen also never mentioned purchases of .25 caliber pistols. The .32 yes.

In my view any Mauser .25 with a WaA is bogus.

#16 ·
And to put this particular pistol to it's rightful place:

WaA 154 was associated with a leathermaking outfit. His job was to accept newly made leatherworks coming out of that factory. But one day, he decided to put his acceptance marking on a commercial pocket pistol from the 1920s? Come on...

#19 ·
There currently are 2 Mauser 1910 pistols on GunBroker with fake markings. One is serial number 244,227 with the fake eagle over swastika, as well as the eagle 154 mark. I would also bet $100 it has a bulged barrel as you can see a swell in the barrel line from the photos.
Second one is serial 245,805. It has a very large eagle over 655 on the right frame.
Both have the circled triangle stamp that is commonly found.

#20 ·
Of course you realize Party Member (PL) pistols were not paid for by the party. Individual PLs had to pay for their own weapon. So does that mean they are only commercial and not Nazi?
Technically speaking, yes, they are commercial pistols.

Consodering the police. Although it was better for one's career, membership of the party was neither required nor requested. There are plenty of examples of policemen who spent their entire career with the police without being party members. Even those who denied to follow orders generally came out ok. They were usually just transferred to another location if they were no longer accepted or tolerated by their superiors.

Let's say that the fear of reprisal by the SS or the state for disobedience was grossly exaggerated. Even those who refused execution duties at the eastern front were generally just sent away and replaced. But we are entering another discussion there.

#21 ·
Technically speaking, yes, they are commercial pistols.
Well, technically speaking, yes they are commercial pistols, as they bear commercial proofs. But factually speaking, those PL pistols definitively identified as such are most certainly Nazi, authorized by the Nazi party Political Organization and pictured in their organization book.

Consodering the police. Although it was better for one's career, membership of the party was neither required nor requested. There are plenty of examples of policemen who spent their entire career with the police without being party members. Even those who denied to follow orders generally came out ok. They were usually just transferred to another location if they were no longer accepted or tolerated by their superiors.

Let's say that the fear of reprisal by the SS or the state for disobedience was grossly exaggerated. Even those who refused execution duties at the eastern front were generally just sent away and replaced. But we are entering another discussion there.
We are not talking about instances of those policemen exhibiting conscience when faced with criminal orders or even whether they were members of the NSDAP. Why even bring up the subject? They didn't purchase the pistols. The German police did. And after 1933, those police were run by Nazis. And at the 1937 National Party Days celebration, the nationalized police were presented their own Nazi party standard like the SA and SS, as well as their own unit flags with swastikas. Hitler spoke after the presentation that the ceremony symbolized the philosophical union, a living connection, of the national police with the NSDAP, which had occurred since the merger of the police into the SS in June 1936. Yes, that German police force was a Nazi police force.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.