Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

Beretta Shipping Records

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  kanister 
#1 ·
A recent post regarding the use of the 4UT mark has prompted another thought for discussion. While the 4UT mark was in use when the factories were under German control, and they directed the final disposition of the guns, has anyone ever complied a list of shipping records to actually determine what batches of guns went where?

From September 9th to the end of the war (May 2nd 1945). The Germans took control of every Italian facility, Beretta included, and decided what to produce and to whom to deliver: we have the general Serial range of those guns to be Mod.1934 from about G20.000 to G.57486 and about 19800 serial AA and BB; and the Mod 1935 from 504.805 to 615.969. So we know the general serial ranges, but if one wanted to look up a specific gun in those ranges has anyone ever published a manifest of who got which gun?

At least in one case I was able to get Beretta to confirm my model 418 was sent to the German High command on 3/28/43. We see similar data for other guns such as Astras, Norwegian 1914's, FN's and the list goes on, Has anyone compiled this for Beretta's?

#2 ·
From September 9th to the end of the war (May 2nd 1945). The Germans took control of every Italian facility, Beretta included, and decided what to produce and to whom to deliver: we have the general Serial range of those guns to be Mod.1934 from about G20.000 to G.57486 and about 19800 serial AA and BB; and the Mod 1935 from 504.805 to 615.969.
Serial 615969 was delivered on 17th April 1945, so this was not the last wartime product.
Please don't forget that in the range you say there were Beretta with many other punches, like the Lion of Brescia, the Air Force Eagle, The German WaA162, .... all used as proof house marks.
And if you have the letter to Mr. Whittington written on December 3rd, 1965, you can read that more than the ones delivered to German Army Hqs, these guns werer also deliverd to "Social Rep. of italy - Navy - Army Hqs. - Japan Imperial Army, ... and some to sporting dealers".

#4 ·
Kanister, No I have not asked anyone specifically. That is why I posted the question generally if anyone knows if someone has compiled a list? As you stated more people have done in-depth research over the past years. I was wondering is they ever complied a list of serial ranges and destinations for the guns. As you point, out a 4UT marked gun did not necessarily end up in German hands. so did someone compile a list who had access to the factory letters of where they actually went?

#5 ·
I know that Mr. Menchini started an examen of the Beretta's books, like the ones for the Mod. 1915 and the Mod. 23, (He wrote some articles for Italian magazines) but he died this year and so I don't know if someone will go on on his research.
But in Italy this is a study with low interest and so I am afraid that nobody will continue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.