Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chromed 1937 S/42 Value

Default Chromed 1937 S/42 Value

My LGS has this luger for sale, but the price seems high (asking 1200) I wouldn't mind a cheap shooter, even with the chrome job. I'm assuming it's been chromed after bring back. I can't see the Germans doing this bad of a nickel job.
    All matching except the magazine. What say you experts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You're correct, not original finish!
    That example has suffered the fate of many bringbacks.
    If you want a shooter, it may be one- or it could have had too much
    nickel/chrome applied and screwed up the tolerances.
    I'd want a "shooting" guarantee from the GS; and I think the price is too much besides; JMHO.
    03man - Don Voigt
    Luger student and collector
    Looking for DWM mil.side plates- 69 and commercial # 32, Dreyse "K.S.Gendarmerie"

Thanks. What would be a reasonable offer, assuming it functions correctly?

I've read that many Lugers, P-38's etc. were nickel or chrome plated by the Germans for US military personnel during the occupation. It was apparently cheap to have done.

I have a matching commercial alphabet Luger that has been nickel plated. It's in .30 caliber and actually functions very well.
    Lugers; A Century & Counting!

I would not be a buyer at more than $600 but I am cheap.
    John

I would pay $750(including tax). Have fired both nickled and chromed P-38s and Lugers, makes me feel good that I am not risking a collectable one.

Jim

I'm sure that was a special presentation Luger that an SS general wore for parades, maybe even The Big Man, Adolf Hitler, himself!

Nazis were crazy about bling!

Oak leaves, swords, diamonds, nickle and chrome, they had it all going on!

I'd gladly pay twice, even three times, the asking price to own this one of a kind piece of history.

Ignore the nay-sayers here, they are just talking it down so they can swoop in like vultures and snatch it up for themselves.

No, seriously, I think the mention of about $600 was right if it shoots o.k. A plated Luger is better than a polished turd, I guess, but it's just a shooter with all collector interest and historical value gone

What a fate for this beautiful, 1937 1st. variation Luger...one of the very late strawed/rust-blued pieces...with the 2mm "humpback" frame...only 3,206 of these examples were manufactured...as if it wasn't pretty enough, before this God-awful chrome job...only a mongrel would do such a thing

Darn, I have been looking for a 1937 S/42 Toggle train number 22. But I don't think this one would help me much...

Quote Originally Posted by Edward T View Post
    What a fate for this beautiful, 1937 1st. variation Luger...one of the very late strawed/rust-blued pieces...with the 2mm "humpback" frame...only 3,206 of these examples were manufactured...as if it wasn't pretty enough, before this God-awful chrome job...only a mongrel would do such a thing
    I had no idea of such low production numbers
    John

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast