Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chromed 1937 S/42 Value

I believe this is a strawed and rust blued, somewhat late, 1st. variation 1937...it coincides with the serial numbering format layed out in the book by Don Hallock, and Joop van de Kant...

Aside from this, if you look CLOSELY at the two photos on the left, you can see residual straw on the trigger and magazine catch, underneath the flaking chrome...

This is no 2nd. variation hot-salt blued example...

This example is one of the 3,206 manufactured with the 2mm Mauser "hump" frame, strawed and rust blued...

This production number accounts for only 2.5% of the manufactured Lugers, by Mauser, in 1937...

I have never witnessed a 2nd. variation, blued 1937, with a serial number beneath the serial number of this pistol...8722 "s"...not ORIGINAL blue, anyway...

There is ONE S/N blued 1937 on Still's listing, with the S/N 6902 "s", but this is likely a re-blue...JMHO...and I collect many 1937 examples...

Edward. Here a link to the discussion to 6902s. It actually belongs to me. I know It's out of the norm, but I can tell you I am 99.9% convinced it is original and never been messed with. If you had it in hand I'm sure you would agree.
    https://luger.gunboards.com/showthre...-1937-no-straw

Bob

Wow...must say I am amazed...from your photos, your Luger appears as you say, but again, to be 100% for sure, pistol in hand, in low natural light, would be the best test...amazing, to say the least...

The four 1st. variations I have, are also in separate letter suffix blocks...q,r,s, and t...only the "s" and "t" suffix letter block Lugers have the 2mm Mauser "hump" frame...though soon to add a third example with a "hump" here shortly...also in the "t" letter suffix...

So my inventory includes, all strawed, and rust blued...

1) 8279 "q"...flat back...

2) 6854 "r"...flat back...

3) 5610 "s"...hump back...

4) 1699 "t"...hump back...

5) 2130 "t"...hump back...(soon to acquire)...

I do have two 2nd. variation 1937's, with one having the fire (nitre) blued pins and springs...it DOES look sharp in contrast to the hot salt blue finish...it's S/N 3021 "t", per se, an early 2nd. variation example...

Well, I guess the old adage pertaining to Lugers might be true..."Never say never"...Thank you, Bob...

Edward

Here's a cropped photo of the trigger.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just my honest opinion...Odds are this is/was, could be again, a 1937 strawed and rust-blued (late) 1st. variation, w/the Mauser "hump"...

Up to the owner, but it might be worthwhile to "save" it...if so chosen to be done by a competent gunsmith, he could probably tell you for sure, what she "used" to be...

Either way, enjoy it for what it is/was...

Edward

I have to wait until the 21st to get it. I'll disassemble it and post the inner pictures.

Got to disassemble it today at the shop. All parts, including the grips match ( not counting the magazine). Seems to be a touch of straw blue left. Sad, but it functions well.

I'd recommend Eugene Golobtsov over at Lugerman.com. He does amazing work and is legit. The only problem with him is he is a total pain in the a#$ when it comes to getting your item back. First job took 1.5 years. Second job i ended up having to take extreme measures after 3 years. It is bittersweet that I wont use him again due to how amazing of a job he does but I just cant handle bench times that approach eternity. 1 year is fine. Anything more than that and my wrath becomes epic. Give him a try and see if he will gurantee a bench time. I know the .45 cal lugers he is pumping out is consuming his time but maybe that is slowing down?

Since we are talking about restoring nickel plated pistols, i just happen to have one he did.

Also, I am not sharing this to take heat from anyone. I am sharing this because it literally is relevant and the pistol was junk before the restoration.

Wow, he did an outstanding job.

OOOHHH, The poor holster!
    Jerry Burney
    11491 S. Guadalupe Dr.
    Yuma AZ 85367
    [email protected]

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
    719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast