Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Gre aus Berlin - 2020

Just outside of Lbeck, you can also find the former, well camouflaged, DWM facilities. The roofs of the buildings were covered with real plants and trees, making it virtually invisible from the air.

There may be an interesting clear out sale in Eckenfrde

Co-Author 'The Parabellum Is Back! 1945-2000'.

Mike..WOW! Livin the dream! You kind of hit on my ideal exit strategy. Have a heart attack with a pretty young girl.
    Jerry Burney
    11491 S. Guadalupe Dr.
    Yuma AZ 85367
    [email protected]

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
    719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."

Default Nvtěva Plzně a Prahy (Visit to Pilsen and Prague)

This update is a bit different.

Last year my housemate and I planned to go to the Czech Republic during one of the free weeks between courses. Unfortunately, she was called in for her first day on her new job, scuttling the trip the day before we were scheduled to go.

She's a proud Bohemian Czech, and loves her culture, so naturally I'm interested in going the see for myself. She also wanted me to meet her Grandparents and mother. Finally taking the trip was a major objective for this year's time in Germany, but once again the plan was overtaken, this time by a global pandemic.

The Czechs were one of the quickest to react, and consequently have done a great job suppressing the virus. Since they want to keep it contained they didn't open their border when most of the other EU countries did. My time here is running out, so I was afraid it would be another year without the trip. But Czechia finally opened the border to a select few countries that have a good record against the virus, Germany being one of them. Although US citizens cannot enter the Czech Republic, I am able to go because I am considered a long term German resident by virtue of my long stay Visa and my German Anmeldung (registration).

So when the border was opened on the 15th we left at the first opportunity, with Andrea having some time off starting the 19th.
    We drove across the border and went to Strakonice to visit, where I was treated to one of her Oma's excellent meals. After visiting for the afternoon and evening we drove to Andrea's home town of Plzeň. The next day we spent touring the town, where they have a memorial to Gen. Patton and his Army as well as the brewery where Pilsner beer originated. That evening we drove to Prague, where we spent three days and nights sightseeing.

This time I made a little video:

https://youtu.be/RJm7WbL_SSM
    Last edited by m1903a3; 07-23-2020 at 11:42 AM.
    Mike C.

German Navy Small Arms 1848-1918
    Life member: NRA, OVMS, VGCA
    Member: NAPCA, N-SSA(Veteran)
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Magical Michael! BRAVO! A masterpiece. VERY enjoyable to watch. Thanks for sharing a piece of civilization most Americans will never get to experience. LOVED the music too..Well done.
    Jerry Burney
    11491 S. Guadalupe Dr.
    Yuma AZ 85367
    [email protected]

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
    719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."

Stunning architecture. Thanks Mike.

Mike,
    To echo Jerry's previous post, you are living the dream. I really enjoyed my time in Europe, walking pristine streets surrounded by centuries old architecture...not to mention the food! Stop in any little Gasthaus and be prepared to get a lick your plate clean meal. Our daughter learned German simultaneously with English and our son was born in Bremerhaven. Don't know if I will ever get back but I cherish the memories. Perhaps that is just as well since today's reality may not measure up to my recollections.
    Really enjoyed your video and the music was perfect. Thank you.
    Ron
    If it is made after 1918...it is a reproduction.

Thanks to you both for a wonderful visual tour.

G2

Thanks guys! I really enjoyed making the video.

The music is Vltava from M vlast (my homeland) a cycle of six symphonic poems by Bedřich Smetana. His statue in Plzeň is at 1:43 in the video. My lovely tour guide explained to me that he is widely considered the father of Czech music and that M vlast is normally presented as a concert of all six. However, Vltava is very popular and often played by itself.
    Andrea found it on line and is actually playing it in our room on her new computer at 6:23. I liked it from the start, and she played it enough to turn it into an earworm for me. She will be delighted that you like the music.

Vltava is the second of the six, and is the main river in Bohemia and flows though the middle of Prague. It is sometimes called by the river's German name, Moldau.

The first of the six, Vyšehrad (The High Castle), is about the Vyšehrad castle in Prague which was the seat of the earliest Czech kings. At 9:38 we were at the gate about to enter the castle. From that point to the end all the photos except the very last were taken in the castle. The last photo is the Prague central station from my train.
    Mike C.

German Navy Small Arms 1848-1918
    Life member: NRA, OVMS, VGCA
    Member: NAPCA, N-SSA(Veteran)
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Mike,
    What a great video including the music it all went well together. Prag what a great historic city even that I lived as a child only 2.5 hrs. away from there never got to see it. Loved the architecture, monuments and of course the cleanliness of the city. I ended up casting it the TV with surround sound it made it that much more enjoyable to observe and listen to, I envy your experience. Last but not least I hope that the Czech's never get a bug up their behind and think they need to change History.
    Happy Hunting!
    Peter
    Ein Soldat
    Looking for K date Luger mag. the base needs to have the acceptance mark O-37 with #1088 with no Suffix number the mag. body on the spine needs to display the Haenle H
    Thanks for looking Pete

Great presentation Mike. Thanks.
    " 'To everything there is a season...a time for war and a time for peace'. and this is the time for war". Reverend Peter Muhlenberg, January 21, 1776, Woodstock, Virginia

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast