Thread: e/L 1939 Banner w block

Default e/L 1939 Banner w block

I recently got this Mauser banner with the police safety. Sadly it's been reblued although quite nicely done. The magazine with the roman numeral II, is that a police magazine? The markings on the right side of the barrel, what are those? the barrel is unnumbered with just the caliber gauge of 8,82.

Any thoughts and comments are appreciated.

IMG_1881.jpg

IMG_1882.jpg
    IMG_1885.jpg
    IMG_1886.jpg
    IMG_1887.jpg
    IMG_1888.jpg
    IMG_1889.jpg
    IMG_1890.jpgIMG_1891.jpg

Nice catch, the pistol should/would have had an Eagle/L marked magazine.

The magazine with the roman numeral II, is that a police magazine?
    Yes, from Saxony and likely for an earlier pistol; the
    "k" is a police inspection mark.

The markings on the right side of the barrel, what are those?
    TP and the Weimar eagle, TP for Technical Police(armorer group) who installed the barrel.

the barrel is unnumbered with just the caliber gauge of 8,82.
    Correct for the replacement barrel.
    03man - Don Voigt
    Luger student and collector
    Looking for DWM mil.side plates- 69 and commercial # 32, Dreyse "K.S.Gendarmerie"

I don't think an original barrel for a 1939 police banner would have had a serial numbered barrel anyway.
    Tim H.
    When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
    ---Thomas Jefferson, 1808

Tim is correct. The original barrels on 1939 police banners are not serial numbered. Only the barrel gauge is present on the barrel.
    Tom.

That doesn't look reblued to me from the pictures. Why do you think it is refinished?

The "w" block is known to be commercial (police acquisition possible).

I have a late made Mauser with banner toggle that has parts in it that would normally not be blued (like the safety block bar) that are blued, but the entire gun looks pristine without any of the edges compromised. Your Luger looks the same.

I asked about this on the forum when I first acquired it, and Joop van der Kant confirmed that it was original finish. I think your Luger is similar.

http://forum.lugerforum.com/showpost...3&postcount=23

One theory is that these were late war or post war assembled from available parts and were blued to make their appearance uniform.

Joop referred to these as "Out of Sequence" Lugers made in 1942 for orders right at the end of Mauser Luger production. These could have been assembled at that time from spare receivers, including those marked with earlier dates and that would be consistent with trying to fulfill commercial contracts for Lugers at the end of production for customers like police agencies.

https://luger.gunboards.com/showthre...186#post141186

Here is what he posted:

Now about your 42 banner serial number xxxxg.
    It is a Luger pistol that was inspected and accepted by the German Army inspector 135 (code for Major Rosenhagen). The 42 date on the chamber, and the suffix -g- of the serial number, indicate a production in the month of May 1942.
    At that time, Mauser was using obsolete replacement parts that were mixed into the production of the military pistols. We see chamber - toggle combinations like: 1940-byf, 42-42, 41-S/42, and, indeed also some banners. It seems that the Army Waffenamt in Berlin had no objections to Mauser's cleaning up party. An estimated total of some 4,500 "out-of-sequence"- pistols are found between 41-byf suffix -x-, and 42-byf suffix -k-.

Joop also commented that it appeared re-blued, but it would also make sense that they would have done this at the factory to give the gun a uniform appearance.

Banner42.jpg

The appearance of my Luger is very similar to yours.
    Igitur si vis pacem, para bellum -
    - if you wish for peace, prepare for war.

I also donít believe that the weapon has been re-blued.
    Tom

1939 Police Banner. Looks re-blued to me.
    Would have been issued 2 matching magazines with a "w" under the serial numbers on the bottom.
    Tom

Thank you so much for this information mrerick. I had no idea this could be the case. All the parts which should be in the white you mentioned on the other forum is the case with the P08 as well. I was ready to resell the pistol but now I'll keep it.