Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1916 dwm — 464. A. 5

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Doubs 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. I’m relatively new to the Luger world, but have been researching and waiting until I found one I really liked. This is a new to me Luger and I’m hoping for some help on deciphering the unit markings. In my research I’m thinking 464th feldartillerie, but my research on the 464th hasn’t returned any info. Thanks very much!

See less See more
#2 ·
Very nice 1916. Note that your sear bar has not been relieved as later directed in 1916. Early Lugers with the long sear bars were modified in many cases but yours escaped being relieved.

The matching mag is also a great find. I'll let someone else translate the grip marking as I'd be guessing.

#3 ·
I believe that the unit marking indicates 464 Feld Artillerie Regiment staff, waffe 5.

#8 ·
Well, I hate to come late to the party but the correct translation of 464.A.5. is Selbständige Fuss-Artillerie-Batterie 464, Waffe Nr. 5.

This was an Independent Foot Artillery Battery. Battery 464 consisted of two 17 cm Schnellfeuerkanonen (Rapid Fire Cannons). The reference is: "Das Ehrenbuch der Deutschen Schweren Artillerie"

The translator is Klaus P. Schad. This translation is well above my pay grade.

#11 ·
Once more Klaus P. Schad provided the translation. This one is well above my pay grade. I simply forwarded a photo of the marking. Klaus has a magnificent collection of reference books which are nearly all in German. I believe Klaus' knowledge and ability to tackle an obscure marking like this one is unmatched. I feel extremely fortunate to have Klaus' expertise reviewing the revised (and last) Pistol Addendum to my book.

#13 ·
Fantastic and a rare find indeed. Rapid fire 17cm cannons? That's 6.7 inch and I don't know how fast "rapid" is but it sounds like they could put out some serious firepower.

Now you know why I wouldn't venture a guess as to the markings. I suspected it was something unusual.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.