Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

Oberndorf Marked WW2 Luger - Mauser. Unique or ??

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Tom Whiteman 
#1 ·
Bought this luger as a "shooter grade" gun. But have to admit I dont know what it is. Anyone see one before. I seached the "Mauser Parabellum" book and could not find it.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Tom and all,

If you have a copy of LUGER VARIATIONS (volume one) by Larry E. Jones, you might look at page 186 in the fourth printing. I believe that pistol and yours are not period pistols. The one in the above book has E/135 proofing and no letter block in receiver serial. If you measure the thickness of the toggle part that has the OBERNDORF/1934 on it, I think that will tell all.

Geo.

#3 ·
Hi Tom!
It appears to have the OBERNDORF 1934 and the MAUSER banner pantographed rather than stamped. The suffix appears to be 'u'; the Mauser hump is present on the back of the frame, and the military acceptance appears to be that of a 1937 military Luger. The 'u' suffix was/is present in the late all blued S/42 pistols. The hump was not present in 1934. I think your Luger started life as a S/42 accepted military and has been altered into something unusual. The military acceptance does not agree with the 1934 date as best as I can tell. However, I may be completely misreading this unusual Luger.Regards, Jim

#4 ·
Mr. Jim Cate is correct on the pantograghing of the 5-line Mauser "tonne" Banner logo...for me, harder to tell on the main toggle...some kind of "Frankenluger"...?

The Mauser "hump" was present in 1934...but only on the newly produced Mauser frames...not on the left over DWM frames that Mauser acquired...Mr. Cate is also correct on the year...this is/was a circa 1937 vintage 2nd. variation Mauser...alluding to the 2mm Mauser "hump" and the "u" letter suffix...Collector variation 1937-S/42-CV-1...??? The rest of the pistol seems to have all matching numbers...

Edward

#6 ·
I was thinking a put together gun from parts at the end of the war. ? I know the Eagle 63 stamps and 1934 date don't go together; nor does the non-straw small parts. But if someone went to all that trouble to pantograph the markings (fake) they usually go with the typical deaths-head, or SS runes, or maybe even a Japanese Mum !! As I said, it sold on auction for shooter grade price so it will to Gunbroker for $1. unless someone can come up with a "better" answer :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.