Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about byf 41 P08 w/ Numbered Armorers Replacement Barrel

Default Question about byf 41 P08 w/ Numbered Armorers Replacement Barrel

Hi everyone,

I bought this from a fairly reputable site as a matching luger (albeit there were only a few pics). However, once I got it and after a lot of research I found that it has a "42" marked replacement barrel that is numbered to the gun and looks to have been done in the same font as the other serials.

So my questions are, would this have been done when the gun was sent in for a arsenal repair and would this have an adverse effect on value?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not 100% sure, but at this late time period in Mauser Luger production, Mauser had the tendency to use up their entire inventory of parts...I think including spare barrels, as they have done earlier before with their Mauser Banner Police examples...(S/42 barrels)...and since yours is a NS (no suffix) example, which was at the near end of the 41 year production, with having the SE-655 barrel proof, they most likely installed this barrel as new, at Mauser Oberndorf...JMHO...The Germans never wasted anything...also the numeral font, on the underside serial number of the barrel, looks the same as already on the front of the frame...so, yes, I would say this barrel was installed as new, in the Mauser Plant...affecting the value...? I think not...collector value originates from the way the firearm came from the factory as new...yours is MOST LIKELY original...just an anomaly...actually, maybe making it more rare...??? ...also no barrel gauge stamp...not that I can see...

Edward

Thanks for the input Edward!!

Well... if you look closely at the frame where the serial number is stamped it looks like the receiver is slightly proud (in front of) the frame.

Now compare the "5" digit on your pistol to the one on this 41 "s" block Luger:

41FrameSNcu.jpg

There are no serifs on the font Mauser was using.
    Igitur si vis pacem, para bellum -
    - if you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Ah I see what you're talking about. The 5's on the rest of the gun do seem to look slightly different.

Here are close ups of the three serials
    Attached Images Attached Images

I believe if you take the white out of the barrel and frame numbers, you will see that they are "roto" pantographed; i.e. renumbered to match the receiver and not original. JMHO.

How can a dealer be "fairly" reputable? I would think either reputable or not.

I'd return it.
    03man - Don Voigt
    Luger student and collector
    Looking for DWM mil.side plates- 69 and commercial # 32, Dreyse "K.S.Gendarmerie"

there is an amazing amount of expertise among you guys, but I still miss Pete.
    rc

Yep...the guys are correct...blew this one...should of realized something was up with all the white stuff...fonts are way off.

Keep in mind there were at least 3 different size numbering dies used on the Mausers of this era. As I recall the numbers on the barrel and the locking bolt are the same size. Those found on the frame, sideplate and receiver are the same size. The thumbsafety lever and the thumbsafety lever bar and extractor are the same size. And the mid toggle and rear toggle numbers are the same, as I recall, as the barrel and locking bolt. The depth that the number was struck into the steel can make numbers look different in size. At the moment I can't remember the size of the firing pin's number, but probably like that of the thumbsafety, ts bar and extractor. Lastly, I would certainly believe there was more than one assembly line where "things" could have caused some differences in the size of numbering die stamps. And they did wear out!! Quite a few of the P.08 byf pistols do not have a barrel gauge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast