Thread: Possible BYF Luger rig purchase, pics

Default Possible BYF Luger rig purchase, pics

Hello everyone,

Im sorry for the poor pictures, these are all the seller sent me.

I’m in Florida for a work trip and purchased a nice Mauser 1914 rig from a collector that claimed they had a “very nice black widow Luger rig” with 2 FXO blued magazines. From what I see it looks good, but one thing that bothers me is a lack of date on top of the barrel bridge.

Also CJ scratched onto the holster which may have been hit with some black polish afterwards.

The seller is an hour from me and I’m happy to go check it out in more detail but this is what I have to go off of. Do you guys see any red flags?

Thanks!
    James

Run James, run!
    If the "Black Widow" offered really has an undated chamber it's an assembled gun.
    Norm

Thanks, Norm!

That was the biggest red flag. I sent the seller a question regarding the barrel bridge and acceptance marks on the right side.

The P.08 under the toggle is very faint. It can’t be seen in pic 3 but can be made out in pic 2.

It's a clinker...

A collector...really...?

The phenolic (oh well, who knows) grip panels...the diamond pattern looks horribly flattened...

Norm is right...run away VERY fast from this guy/deal...

Thank you everyone, this is why I consult those more knowledgeable than I with things like Lugers.

I received a response from the seller - above the slide 42 on the side 135.

While promising it doesn’t show in the photos, along with the the faint P.08 mark it may be refinished at best?

James...let it go...many more (Mauser) Lugers out there...take care...

Edward

If the 42 is there, it has been nearly buffed away. Yes, the luger looks to be refinished.
    03man - Don Voigt
    Luger student and collector
    Looking for DWM mil.side plates- 69 and commercial # 32, Dreyse "K.S.Gendarmerie"

I would ask for good clear photos in sunlight and not indoors on a white towel before completely dismissing the possibility of buying this one.

In my humble opinion I think it's really hard to tell for certain if it's refinished from these photos. I can see a 42 date on the gun...have to use a magnifying glass to do so however (and that date should really be easily more visible) but photos can be really strange sometimes. Ask for better photos taken outdoors on a different background. I would also want to see the safety in the down position and see what the "gesichert" looks like under there! If the seller declines to do so...then yes...at that point I would then agree...to run.

My belief is, people who take bad pictures with the equipment available today, do so intentionally
    regards, heinz

This luger is being offered as a "very nice black widow". From the provided photos, it is a nice holster, the scratched initials are common and are a small clue to originality--I don't mind scratched service numbers and initials. The magazines, if the bases are not chipped and both are fxo magazines, are attractive collectibles. Together, the value of the magazines and the holster are worth only a little less than what the pistol alone is worth, provided the pistol is functional. The pistol "tuning fork" looks heavily polished and refinished. The frame may be polished and refinished. Overall, the luger appears to be of no collectible value whereas the magazines and holster appear to have collectible value.