Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Luger noob needs input pls

Default Luger noob needs input pls

Howdy -

I'm a regular over on Gunboards, but I'm a complete noobie to Lugers. I would like to get a nice representative WWII era one just as a representative piece. It doesn't have to be fancy or have any specific codes, but I'm partial to Mauser-made weapons. I would appreciate some guidance on what to look for, what to avoid, what I might expect to pay for one, etc.

If y'all would edumucate me, I would appreciate it!

Study first, buy books, study more, then buy Lugers.

Start with our free reference FAQ. Search "FAQ PDF" on this forum, and you'll find it toward the end of the hits.

Welcome to the forum.
    Igitur si vis pacem, para bellum -
    - if you wish for peace, prepare for war.

DaSOB,

You might try looking at, Simpson Ltd. Their are a dealer in Lugers and have a good selection. Their prices run a little high, but they are a well trusted dealer. I would also suggest getting a good book on the type of Luger you want to buy.
    Pat
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    San Francisco, CA, May 13, 1903
    By Theodore Roosevelt

Pat McNeil

Based on what you say, I would look for a Mauser manufactured with all matching numbers except the magazine. Matching mag drives up the price. Also, would insist on original finish. Figure to spend around $1,300.00 for a decent condition representative Luger.

Jim

Welcome Sam - it depends on what you want, and how much you're willing to spend.

i.e. a matching Mauser that you shoot could cost you $300-$800 if you break a numbered part (does happen, but not really common, but I've broken two breechblocks over time).

Shooter - Mauser but maybe mismatched parts - $800-$1000
    Low end collectible - rougher finish, less bluing - $1000-$1300
    Higher end collectible - 1300 +

Good places to look at guns - but cost more money - Simpson, LTD, Legacy Collectibles, Pre-98
    Here on the forum there are shooters and nicer sold frequently

Ed

The advice above is good. However, if you just want a "representative piece" and don't want to go any further, then I wouldn't spend the money for books. If you are interested in the history and more detail, or want to get into collecting Lugers, then books are certainly the way to go. Just my opinion of course.
    Neil

Luger tips by Mark Reese is a good representative Luger book extremely cheap. Broad overview, pretty pictures. It may not cover Mauser Luger's though? As cheap as it is it's a fun Luger book anyway. Neil is right though..almost any serious Luger book is serious money. Lots of info here on the site.
    Jerry Burney
    11491 S. Guadalupe Dr.
    Yuma AZ 85367
    [email protected]

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
    719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."

go to gunbroker and do a search on "WWII Luger". Do this everyday for a few weeks and you will get an idea of the prices. I think somewhere closer to $2000 will be what you find . Good luck and happy hunting!!

Bill
    They say I have ADD, but I don't think they know...HEY! LOOK! A CHICKEN!!

Thanks, all! got some good info that will help me set up a baseline. I'm looking more for a representative shooter than a true collectible, at least at this point. I'll start googling and checking Gunbroker to help define what I may actually want.

Feel free to PM me with a prospect or two, either here or over on Gunboards. I should be able to answer most of your questions and/or address your concerns. And if not, I can lead you to the right information.

The advice above to use one the well known dealers is sage. You will receive a vetted pistol, and if there is an issue, you can return it.

I think you will be happier with a $1,500 or more, than a $1,300 or less pistol. Like Ed said, you do take a risk if you use it at the range.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast