Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Deaths Head Luger 08

Short update, a friend of mine approached me with a holster collection for sale .. seems I was lucky as this one was among them. I usually don't collect holsters, but they two match each other, both not being of mint condition.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a holster marked exactly as the one you picture. The DH mark is the only mark I am able to find on the holster. My holster is in similar condition, minus the modification to the closure strap. A DH marked Luger came in the holster. The Luger is a rework as discussed in previous posts.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by DaveFromSheffield View Post
    Short update, a friend of mine approached me with a holster collection for sale .. seems I was lucky as this one was among them. I usually don't collect holsters, but they two match each other, both not being of mint condition.
    Holsters like this are made by EGER & LINDE SELIGENTAL in the 1930 and used by tank crews. May be you will find thr marker stamp inside the inner liner...
    merzbach

Hi all,
    Mine is a 1936 Wilh.Brand made and what about the inner flap marking ? Most of people say it's a fake but ?

Quote Originally Posted by klaus 3338 View Post
    Holsters like this are made by EGER & LINDE SELIGENTAL in the 1930 and used by tank crews. May be you will find thr marker stamp inside the inner liner...
    Not being a holster guy at all, would you possibly have a sample picture of what it looks like to see if I can find it?

hope that helps
    merzbach

Thank you - I did check closely and didn't find anything on the inside either.

I did a bit additional research on this forum on Deaths Head marked pistols. A total of four threads (plus this one) show various Lugers with Deaths Head. They all share specific details:
    1. Deaths Head Stamp with Lazy S
    2. Nitro Proof from Suhl, pre 1942 period
    3. From what I can make out all of them have replacement barrels (hence the re-proof), but of the same length
    4. Most have force-matched parts/scrubbed and re-matched serials
    5. They are not specific to a particular manufacturer nor model
    6. These guns have various dates on them, but none carries the 1920 date
    7. Most appear re-finished. Therefore markings aren't that deep - aside of proof and Deaths Head stampings

Sources:
    Gun 2867: https://luger.gunboards.com/showthre...507#post914507
    Gun 4087: https://luger.gunboards.com/showthre...801#post867801
    Gun 1147 and 2210: https://luger.gunboards.com/showthre...778#post583778
    Gun 501: https://luger.gunboards.com/showthre...210#post586210
    Gun 2311: https://luger.gunboards.com/showthre...828#post285828
    Gun 4984: https://luger.gunboards.com/showthre...742#post293742

Especially the last one is important, since it is a vet bringback and untouched and therefore without any doubt, plus it even has matching numbers magazine. This would exclude this particular gun from being what many in this forum here had believed, to be a WWI unit marking (had it been, the Deaths Head would had needed to be as filed flat during refinish as the rest. And the proof is from a much later period, hence it could not be from WWI).

For me it therefore would become quite obvious that the SS in one single arsenal reworked Luger pistols of various models. As with the Gew98 to K98k conversions outcarried by the SS these were mainly performed on guns with issues/damages. This is proofed by the fact that they have replacement barrels, as well as the fact that they all share in common the commercial proof from Suhl. The 1920 stamp on guns was the property stamp of the Reichswehr to make it obvious the gun belongs to the Reichswehr, hence I would explain why some guns have scrubbed barrels whereas with most the date is still present, because otherwise the Reichswehr could had claimed ownership of these guns. These guns do seem to follow a certain pattern and share so many details with the SS rifle reworks.

Comments on this are highly welcome and would appreciate if those that had joined this thread already at the beginning let me know what they think.

I fail to see how the last luger is more important, or any different from other DHs reported. Being a vet bringback means little, it may be true or not; it could have
    been reblued stateside or anywhere it landed in the last years.
    Not sure why you say the DH would have been filed flat? maybe you can explain why if would have been ?
    It certainly is not necessary to do anything to the DH to refinish the pistol.

Most all the DH lugers discussed have the C/N proof of Suhl, from the 1920-30s period.

The 1920 ownership stamp was applied to the luger chamber, not the barrel- so would have no relation to a replaced barrel.
    I agree, none of the DH lugers I've seen have had a 1920 PS(property stamp) applied, which favors the theory of "surplus" pistols reworked or assembled from parts by several(or many) different commercial entities for sale and proofed in Suhl.

1920 PS lugers would have been in government stocks and not available.

Seems you have just restated your initial position that these are "SS" reworked pistols.
    03man - Don Voigt
    Luger student and collector
    Looking for DWM mil.side plates- 69 and commercial # 32, Dreyse "K.S.Gendarmerie"

In the 1950s and 1960s this category of Luger pistols was bottom of the barrel material that hardly had a resale value. That is why an entrepreneural gun smith decided to make them 'more collectable' by adding the DH markings. It's been researched by a couple of German gun magazine journalists. They spoke to the former gunsmith's apprentice who applied the markings.

That is the reason why it is almost impossible to validate / authenticate the DH lugers. Most, if not all, are 60 year old fakes. So even the patina is about right on them.

About gun 4984: there is no direct proof that the vet brought that gun home. The statement from his children is not enough. Many vets who brought home guns after WW2 traded, sold their guns for various reasons, got a bit of remorse and bought back replacement ' trophies' in later years. So, in this case, the vet may have purchased the P08 in the 1960s and then presented it proudly to his kids as the 'dead officer's P08', as many others also did.

Co-Author 'The Parabellum Is Back! 1945-2000'.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345