Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

Lahti M40 Pistol Help Please

6K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  bdc 
#1 ·
I picked up this rig. All looks pretty good but I paid up for the serial number range as delivered to the Dutch resistance force. Maybe should not have. All opinions and help is appreciated. Thank you for looking.
Joh

See less See more
#3 ·
This information came from http://www.gotavapen.se/gota/m40/pist40_4.htm
I am still searching for additional information.

1944 Danish exile authorities had ordered 2000 pistols. These pistols were delivered and marked by inspection officer Cpt Sten Stenmo (SS). These pistol serial numbers range from 67 000 – 69 202 but there are some also in 64 000 – 74 000 range. Another 2 500 pieces are known to be sold to the Danish inspected by Swedish inspectors.

John

#4 ·
John, You pretty much nailed the information that is available on these guns. They were issued to the Dutch in Exile and they were marked as "police" guns because they were known as a "security force". The force itself was only around 5,000 strong and that accounts for almost the entire the serial ranges as you found. I have been looking for one of these for sometime but have been trying to find a non import marked version. Most of them are import marked with an early mark on the front of the trigger guard. Yours seems to be a nice example. Congrats!

#10 ·
The Op asked for help and that's what I was trying to do. It's incorrect to call this a Lahti M40. If I posted a Mauser P38 and called it a Walther would no one correct me? And that's an identical gun made in the same country. This gun was licensed by Lahti, but it's a different design and not interchangeable with the L-35. It's a great gun, just not a Lahti M40, they didn't make any. Aside from the special designation of this particular gun, there's a significant difference in production numbers and value between the two factories and their models. I thought I posted another less nuanced reply but it didn't show up and apologize if two end up on here.
Greg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.