Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

Gnr

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Mauser96 
#1 ·
I submit to you a pristine 1935/06 Mauser Banner GNR, .30 Luger, original finish, 98%+ Blue, 98+% Straw, perfect grips, perfect bore, all matching and correct un-numbered aluminum bottom magazine. The STORY:This GNR is 1 of the 564 made in 1935. These Mauser Banner Portuguese contracts were issued to the elite National Guard of Portugal. In the 1960's the Portuguese Government surplussed the GNR's they had left and they were imported to the U.S. Reportedly this was not one of those imported GNR'S. A U.S. citizen was sailing around the south pacific and acquired this GNR from a horse trader and brought it back to the States. I obtained this GNR in 1978. This GNR had been preserved in a block of palm oil. This was posted on the other Luger forum two years ago, but I just finally registered with this forum. I see a lot of the regulars here from the other forum.

I would like to know if anyone has any idea how many GNR's were imported to the US in the 1960's? I have read the entire lot was brought over by one importer? but who? This GNR was supposedly not one of them. I also read a thread stating Jim Cates was still compiling a list of known GNR's. Can Jim Cates or anyone add this to the list and how do I get a copy? Thanks for any info and/or comments. Mark

- - - Updated - - -

more pics

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I was successful in contacting Jim Cate. I guess the list of GNR's he was assembling is the one found in Castanzo's World of Lugers. I did learn from Jim that the imported GNR's from the 1960's were originally for sale as: "extremely nice at $120. The others were $99. Holsters were $5; extra mags and the tool were $1 each." Thanks, Jim.

#5 ·
Mark,
About 20 years ago I owned a GNR that was in almost new condition like yours. I was SN 2268v, only 203 guns away from yours and with a correct holster. Wish I still had it, but I can't afford to keep everything. :)
Ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.