Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 41 BYF Luger

Default 41 BYF Luger

I know a guy who is selling a 41 byf Luger serial number 27XX. All matching parts. The finish is a worn with some pitting on left side. But there is no PO8 stamp on the left side. The barrel gauge # under the serial number on the barrel is 883. The barrel is clean with no pitting. The gun is a great shooter. I am a little puzzled by a very small stamp on the trigger guard. It is stamped 1A-co and under that is stamped Sac Ca. I assume this might be an import stamp. It has one mag, aluminum bottom with no stamp. Left side of mag is stamped PO8 and also the fxo with proof mark and 37. It fires perfectly but not a beauty. Just wondering about the trigger guard stamp and why there is no PO8 stamp on the left side plate as most of the 41 byf lugers I have seen online all have it.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Welcome to the Forum. I think your concerns are correct as there should be a P08 on the left side of the frame. Do you have any pictures?
    Tom

luger03.jpgluger02.jpgluger01.jpg

I just received three photos;

Can you get one of the front of the frame with the serial number and letter suffix.
    Tom

The trigger guard stamp is an import mark. It is IA-co and not 1A-co, for InterArms Corp.

The frame is certainly Mauser. with the rear ear hump. The serial number suffix will tell when it was made.

Ok just got these:
    luger06.jpgluger04.jpgluger05.jpg

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate this. As I said, it's not pretty, but is a really good functioning shooter. I didn't think much of it until he said he wanted to sell it. The bore is amazingly clean, no marks or pits of any kind. Too bad the rest of the gun wasn't cared for in the same manner.

Take a look at the following sticky thread, reply #4. It shows that the 42 code frame with the n-suffix was transitioning to the P.08 on the side of the frame in early 1941.

https://luger.gunboards.com/showthre...ger-variations

Those manufactured in early1941 have a two digit date 41 and a P.08 stamped with a round dot on the left frame panel. Their serial range is 2176n-4490o with a few scattered in the “p”, “q” and “r’ suffix serial range. Serial range overlap with 1940 42 and byf 41. Approximately 11,500 were manufactured.
    So, your frame is likely correct, as transitional without the P.08. But the toggle has been replaced from a 42 code to a byf code, and likely renumbered by the Russians. The X following the number on the barrel extension indicates a Russian Capture. If priced well (under $900 IMO), it could make for a nice shooter. The collectible aspect has been compromised.

Edit:

After reviewing Jan C. Still, Third Reich Lugers, p.65, it is possible that the byf code could also be correct, but a very early appearance. Still states that there is much overlap of markings from the 41-42 code and the 41-byf code. He states byf began at around 3,300 n, but my book is 1988 copyright. Much more serial number data could have been collected since then.

Thanks I appreciate the info. I wanted a shooter and still looking for the gem to keep. The price for this one is at $400.00.

Dang. Just enlarged your picture and it looks like a p-suffix. But much of the transitional and overlap of markings was still taking place in early 1941, so some of what I offered above still applies.

The main observation is that it is an import marked Russian Capture. Any shooter Luger in California which is priced below $900 is within the market parameters. At $400, it is a bargain.

If you look below the serial number, you will see a Germany stamp. Hadn't seen that in others. Also according to the thread you refer to, the barrel gauge should be 881 or 882, this one is 883.

Thanks for you help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast