Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

New FN BROWNING PISTOLS book, THIRD EDITION for 2021!

15K views 62 replies 29 participants last post by  PolishX 
#1 · (Edited)
I am currently working on the new expanded all-color third edition of FN Browning Pistols, Side-arms that shaped World History. I started in January and it has already been a fantastic journey. I figured I would post some updates and neat information here as I went along...

I am aiming at getting this in production in December. Currently it is looking like 600+ pages but it is too early to tell.

Also for the first time, we are looking at doing a standard and a luxury, bonded leather, edition.

More soon.
Anthony

#7 ·
Is this edition going to include much more info on high powers? Thanks.
Tim H.

#8 ·
Hi Tim,

That is all relative, as one can publish volumes on just the HP. Yes on prewar and wartime, no on the hundreds of postwar contracts that were produced.

I am not working on the HP chapter yet, but it will be a decent expansion.

Anthony

#9 ·
A couple of years ago I salvaged some FN boxes destined for the dumpster, lots of old documents. As expected 60 to 70% are just useless business memos and papers. Some nice blueprints, that was a bonus. At the time I had glanced at it all but never got to sort through it or catalog it until recently.

At the bottom of one of the boxes was a big stack of HP test targets... Three were used and numbered, the rest unused. The used ones are dated 1944, 1945, and 1946. That by itself would not mean much, except that all these targets are German (language) wartime targets! FN must have used them after liberation and stopped using these once they printed their own. SUPER FIND! I had never seen one, and this will now be shown in the book.

#10 ·
Hi, Anthony, looking forward to get :) your new book, I am wondering if you have any new information about FN in Thailand ? I mining if any contracts was made between FN and Thailand government or Thailand police just using any guns they can find and mark them ? BRGS Alexey

#15 ·
I have not located much on direct contracts (except some small HP contracts). From what I researched indicate that the Thai guns were sourced from various places, including Browning U.S. commercial guns that found their way to Thailand.

Anthony

#12 ·
wow, this is awesome. There are so many areas that can be expanded on. I do hope that additional information can be obtained especially for contract guns. Or what about copies of shipping records so that one could look up specific serial numbers? As example there are times I run across a FN 1910 and its close to serial number that was in your previous books as being reported sold to Japan but we have no way to know. It would be great to have a data base like that if available.

#13 ·
Hi Sam, The Japanese orders are impossible to fully list as these were taken from commercial production, unlike Colt's where such groups were usually close in serial numbers, FN' were not and span hundreds of record pages. Further these were not direct sales to Japan but their main agent, which means further cross referencing those numbers for Japan. Massive amounts of work and paper, and would never be complete. Further there are the capture guns that would fall out and would still be legitimate pieces.

When you list "so many areas that can be expanded on", can you please be more specific? It would help me out!

Thanks
Anthony

#16 ·
Anthony:
There appears to be a real interest with
collectors in trying
in verify FN 1910 pistols
with Japanese history. It appears this process is
very time consuming and can only be done
with access to the records, and knowledge on
how to read the records.

I am sure you receive many inquiries in
this area. Is there anyone else other
than you who does this research ? Thanks.

-Mike

#18 ·
This feedback is helpful. The Japanese holster section will be greatly expanded.

With so much interest in the Japanese contract, I will make as much an effort to include as much as possible in it and will post a request for serial numbers on the forum.

Thanks
Anthony

Reactions: Nick32579
#19 ·
As ever, my passion remains the 1905 vest pocket. I hope to see as much as possible about this marvelous little pistol. No detail is too small to engage my interest. Still hoping to see confirmation (photos) of serial numbers above the 1,086,xxx range. I have never personally seen any, and I have recorded a lot of 1905s.

FN Browning Pistols is hands-down my favorite firearms reference text in a library of many excellent books. It has supplied me with countless hours of enjoyment. If there is a way to pre-order the upcoming edition, please let us know.

#21 ·
Thanks Bob! The new edition will have the information I collected and the expansion will be predicated on that info. I certainly keep all of this in consideration.
Thanks again!
Anthony

#20 ·
Anthony, I wrote a large reply the other day but my computer went out and I was using a tablet and now I see it didn't post. or it disappeared, I have no idea.

My ideas were such as you mention the different inspectors, I know throughout the book you show examples of inspector marks but could you add a list of all known inspectors marks and locations of where they were placed? possibly even a list of unknown marks which I know over the years you mentioned they are not sure what they are for. This would be helpful in correctly identifying. as example, I do not think I ever came across an entire list of Finnish inspector marks.

another thought, you mentioned the different styles of grips could you add photos in that section of each style and then also add in how to tell reproductions from the originals?

Finally, while its not maybe needed for people such as myself who collect guns as collectibles, it may be helpful to reach out to others as a cross over to add a chapter on parts. what parts are inter-changeable ? such as the old style cam verses the new style cam on the 1935's are not, are the firing pins the same the same for the 1910 and 1922? can you switch out barrels of the the 1922 in 7.65 to .380? what about the parts in the baby browning to the FN1905/06? a section like that would be helpful to the shooting community and may make the book more appeasing to that crowd who really do not care about originality etc so much. but at the same time could help those of us who come across a gun and are trying to deterimine if its all original or has had parts added.

Those were just some of the thoughts along with the Japanese expansion, which I am glad to see you already started! Great!

#22 ·
another thought, you mentioned the different styles of grips could you add photos in that section of each style and then also add in how to tell reproductions from the originals?
Yes, I am working on a photo guide on grips.

- - - Updated - - -

Finally, while its not maybe needed for people such as myself who collect guns as collectibles, it may be helpful to reach out to others as a cross over to add a chapter on parts. what parts are inter-changeable ? such as the old style cam verses the new style cam on the 1935's are not, are the firing pins the same the same for the 1910 and 1922? can you switch out barrels of the the 1922 in 7.65 to .380? what about the parts in the baby browning to the FN1905/06? a section like that would be helpful to the shooting community and may make the book more appeasing to that crowd who really do not care about originality etc so much. but at the same time could help those of us who come across a gun and are trying to deterimine if its all original or has had parts added.
Okay, that can be done. Can you and others give me ideas on parts topics/questions? Fire away so I can include what is important. A list would be nice...

Thanks for the feedback.

#23 ·
AWESOME....here are some of the questions I have run across over the years that others have asked and I have even wondered about because I couldn't answer them. these are the only ones I remember. I hope this helps.

1. FN 1910 to 1922
a. are firing pins interchangeable?
b. are springs interchangeable, such as recoil springs?
c. are magazines interchangeable?

2. FN1922 specific
a. are .32 cal barrels interchangeable with .380 barrels?
b. are magazines also interchangeable, so you can swap out a barrel as well as a magazine in a .32 to convert to a .380?

3. Baby Browning to FN1905/06
a. what parts are interchangeable such as magazines or barrels and springs?
b. are grips interchangeable from the baby to a FN1905?

4. FN1935
a. are barrels interchangeable? pre-war to post war, post war to Vietnam era.
b. are the slides interchangeable? guy wanted to put a pre-war tangent slide on a post war (1970) gun.
c. does a new safety work on a war-time model FN35? (that question I saw in the early 2000's so I assume he meant new stock part)
d. does a wartime Inglis High Power barrel fit a wartime Belgian High Power?
e. will an Inglis hammer fit a high power. (I forget the particulars of this one, but think he was asking about newer production of both like 1970 models)
f. will Inglis Chinese shoulder stock fit prewar High Power with stock slot?

#24 ·
Hi Sam,
Thank you for taking the time! This type of feedback is very helpful. So some of these are already answered in the current edition, that said, this indicates that I need to emphasize them more.

As far as question 3, none of the parts interchange, they are totally separate models. The rest I will be sure to discuss. I still need to think about the format but may do a "collector note" on each.

Thanks again. I am open to other suggestions...

Anthony

#26 ·
Thanks Douglas, I also need to get with you on several topics but can not find enough hours in a day.
I am constantly overwhelmed and just look at this site for some R&R in between work...

Take care
Anthony

#28 ·
Just throwing some more input your way, although I'm sure it's mostly stuff you'd be including anyway. I'd like to see:

1) Any additional details on the FN 1910 pistols used in the Sarajevo assassination plot.

2) Updates on the surviving FN 1905 "Un million" presentation pistols (especially the one that was in peril at the hands of the Canadian government:mad:). Have any more surfaced?

3) Factory engraved pistols, the more the merrier!

4) Retailer/agent/distributor marked pistols - same thing, the more the better!

5) Would love to see full photos of early 1905s lacking the "depose" marking. What's the serial number of the gun whose slide marking is pictured on page 203 (exemplifying the earliest legend)?

I'm sure I'll think of more, I'll toss it out there as it comes to me. Can't hurt.

#29 ·
[QUOTE

1) Any additional details on the FN 1910 pistols used in the Sarajevo assassination plot.

2) Updates on the surviving FN 1905 "Un million" presentation pistols (especially the one that was in peril at the hands of the Canadian government:mad:). Have any more surfaced?

3) Factory engraved pistols, the more the merrier!

4) Retailer/agent/distributor marked pistols - same thing, the more the better!

5) Would love to see full photos of early 1905s lacking the "depose" marking. What's the serial number of the gun whose slide marking is pictured on page 203 (exemplifying the earliest legend)?

[/QUOTE]

1) I am not sure what more I can add, I could review the trial transcripts again and see if there is anything relevant. A poorly-researched book came out listed the actual serial number, but it is obvious that this was totally unfounded as it is even listed in the trials transcripts that the conspirators did not pay attention to the numbers.

2) No new "Un Million" pieces have surfaced

3) Yes, there will be more factory engraved pieces, but as you know they are not common. A whole expanded section on factory engraving is already done.

4) Yes, some more. Interesting bios have been added on some of the agents.

5) Good tip, I will add the serial number if I have it. I do not recall the contributor...

Please keep in mind that this is an expanded edition, not an entirely new book. Some of these topics are extremely difficult to find new information on. Thanks for the input!

Anthony

#30 ·
A treasure trove of a folder with all of FN's and John Browning correspondence was recently found at FN. I have the privilege to use it for the book and obviously am thankful to the individuals involved.

I spent three days reading and it confirmed much information that was deducted from other memos and data, yet it also revealed so many details that were previously unknown and in question.

It is great to see how John M. and FN interacted in a casual cooperation and and how they had similar goals. Several of these documents will be in the new edition...

Anthony

#31 ·
Anthony,
Can you tell us approx. when the 3rd edition will be available? Thanks!
Tim

#32 ·
Hi Tim,

We have a tentative press time in December. I am racing forward to get it done by then, but it is unpredictable. I am about two weeks behind as is. If that plan works, we should have it available in late January.

We are planning on two editions, a standard with tough laminated cover and a genuine leather bound edition.

I am quite excited about this book as it is a departure from the previous editions, all color pages with a new format and lots of new information. It will most likely go north of 500 pages, I do not keep up with page count during production...

Working on it daily, almost 7-days a week, already logged more than 2,000 hours since November. The lock down helped with progress, some days I barely see daylight.

I still have many topics to tackle including contributors on this forum... that will be soon.

Thanks
Anthony

#34 ·
Anthony,
Please, check your email as I sent you some material through WeTransfer.
As far as I can see, you haven't downloaded it yet - I am only afraid is to have the link expired.
Besides that, I think you will find the material interesting.
Greetings,
Douglas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.