Thread: S/42

Default S/42

I was lucky enough to aquire a 37 s/42 ..100% matching # ... Yes even BOTH mags, only thing missing is loading tool. I am by no means an expert on lugers, my question is what is value (approx) ...and the big question is...after reassembling (say 2 out of 10 times) the assembly is sloppy (slides back and forth about 1/4 to 1/2 inch) disassemble reassembled and all works PERFECT...what causes this ?? Thank you all in advance for ANY INFO

We would love to see pictures of your new acquisition, two matching mags is quite a coup for value. As for the sloppiness you describe, it sounds like you likely are not properly getting the hanging hook on the upper assembly into the slot it is supposed to go into behind the magazine well so that it engages the mainspring.

The best advice I can give to avoid that in reassembly is to reassemble the gun upside down or pointed straight in the air, and guide the hook into the slot that way. It gets easier with more practice.

Two real matching mags is quite rare. Two matching unreal mags seems to be expanding. Bill

Photos are needed to assess condition and finish originality, which are key value components. Matching magazines are often faked, so be careful what you wish for in terms of an honest assessment. Those who disclose purchase price tend to get more responses re: value. I have a '37 military with one matching mag and would welcome photos of your pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeeater View Post
    I was lucky enough to aquire a 37 s/42 ..100% matching # ... Yes even BOTH mags, only thing missing is loading tool. I am by no means an expert on lugers, my question is what is value (approx) ...and the big question is...after reassembling (say 2 out of 10 times) the assembly is sloppy (slides back and forth about 1/4 to 1/2 inch) disassemble reassembled and all works PERFECT...what causes this ?? Thank you all in advance for ANY INFO
    You have received great feedback to this point. Patiently awaiting clear macro pictures in good indirect natural lighting of all the relevant markings and features. Thank you, and welcome.