Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Borchardt-Luger #6 up for auction

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Wood View Post
    It wasn't a very good fake in that it lacked appropriated details and had lousy fitting grips.
    That was really not a well made fake - but it had the original grip plates which are now back on the SN 5.

Enclosed a picture of the faked SN 5 and an article about the whole story, which I wrote a few years ago.

By the way, the fake SN 5 is still in the custody of the police of Bern (where my friend Hermann Hampe and I inspected and photographed the gun at that time).

Alexander
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

To quote Paul Harvey: "and now you know the rest of the story". Thanks guys. I had read most of that account some time ago but couldn't find a reference.
    Ron
    If it is made after 1918...it is a reproduction.

Interesting. Now we know most of the players. I wonder who actually made the fake nr. 5?

Co-Author 'The Parabellum Is Back! 1945-2000'.

Responsible for the theft of SN 5 were the curator of the W+F collection and his son - I heard that the curator hired a worker from the W+F to make the fake SN 5 - but that‘s only a rumor

An interesting thread to say the least. Keep in mind that this B-L #6 will soon come to auction. It will be interesting to see what it goes for and hopefully that event will ignite further interesting Forum comments.
    drbuster

Well it is almost July and I have not heard what happened to the B-L #6 in the early June Poulin auction. A perusal of their web site was absent of any word other than pre-auction fanfare video. My guess is that no bids were received. Anyone have more definitive information?
    drbuster

There was only one bid at $300,000

My guess is it didn't sell since that is below the low estimate of $400,000 and it doesn't show up as a "price realized".
    Mike C.

German Navy Small Arms 1848-1918
    Life member: NRA, OVMS, VGCA
    Member: NAPCA, N-SSA(Veteran)
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanks Mike. I understand that Regnier has been trying to sell #6 for over 20 years. With the market "flooded" with collections of Sturgiss, Van de Kant and Shattuck, I guess all prices for lugers will be affected for some time to come.
    drbuster

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567