Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

new barrel

4K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Jeff Noll 
#1 ·
i have a 9mm with a worn out barrel are the barrels from numrich good quality? any advice or experience. thanks in advance

#2 ·
Why not have it replaced with a very good or excellent old barrel? (I'm assuming your 9mm is the usual 4" bbl., they are readily available.)
No experience with Numrich barrels.

#4 ·
yes it a 4 inch barrel, relined, gunsmith overbored the chamber so it bulges the cases, shoots point of aim pretty well although it key holes quite a bit i assume its the twist rate of the liner. not much luck with the used barrel search yet... quite wary some big name repair/ sellers:rolleyes: thank you

#5 ·
I have several good used barrels; I suspect member G. Tomek does also. If you can't change the barrel yourself, GT can do it.

I can't imagine the twist rate is a problem, as a 9mm liner almost certainly would have a pistol twist rate; but it is a moot point if it keyholes.

One really can't reline a luger barrel to 9mm, as the barrel is too thin to bore and/or the liner must be too large in diameter to have any structural integrity.

GT and I both have relined luger barres to .30 caliber; but won't try to do a 9mm. A .30 cal. liner is pretty darn thin itself.

#6 ·
define good, nice bore and finish just asking also price range ? btw broke the firing pin spring guide last time at the range , it also has a issue of not going into full battery all the time usually a tap on the toggle will make it seat is it a weak main spring ? so ordered a firing pin guide a firing pin spring and a main spring from jack first ,arrived today the spring guide looks top notch ,just want this old girl to run without to many hiccups

#7 ·
Sounds like you may have more than one problem; spring guides don't just "break", and yes- your mainspring may be weak.
For multiple problems you should probably send the entire pistol to Lugerdoc for work.
If you want to buy a barrel, send me a PM. Yes-good means good bore and good outside.

#8 ·
looking carefully at the spring guide it looks like old corrosion where the guide meets the locking lug thats where it came apart brittle looking material.the breech block locking lug is in nice condition,my local gunsmith has done some work on it in the past hold open spring and he relined the barrel. i will takeit to him first go through it and see what he comes up with. one of his partners reconized the gun from gunsmithing school a long time ago... i mean before the internet age.look at my posts from 2010 i think for pictures and such just a shooter but as i stated i want it to run correctly, thank you. i will pm about the barrel and installing it .

#10 ·
the liner is fine the gusmith over bored the chamber thus causing the bulged cases as a stated previously,it also keyholes i assume that is caused by the twist rate of the liner being somethig other than the needed twist of rate... i really am just guessing that is the problem with the key holing

#13 ·
The poor 'smith probably bored out the chamber step as well. He does know the 9x19 case is tapered, right?

About relining to 9mm: the former chief of Mauser had a bet with a Locktite salesman in the 1970s. A P08 that was found in the Neckar, next to the Mauser plant, had a barrel liner installed with a Locktite product and was subjected to testing to see how long it would last. I shot with it over 10 years ago. Still working after 40+ years and regular shooting. He keeps the gun in an oiled plastic bag, as it is covered in pitting and rust from its river years.

It was a good marketing tool to show off the quality of the Mauser P08. And Locktite.

I will ask him if he still has it when I see him.

Also note that many 7,63 Mauser C96 pistols were rebored to 9mm. That also doesn't leave a lot of meat on the bone. So I think that relining a 9mm Luger barrel should be possible. But in this case, a used original 9mm barrel is the easiest, most reliable and cheapest option. Installed by a good gun smith.

#14 ·
I did not say it could not be done, just that it is not a great idea.
Having actually done a .30 cal reline, and knowing how thin the liner and barrel are; I will not do it in 9mm.
My liners are installed with Loctite products. ;)

The C96s were rebored as Vilm said, and not re-lined ; a liner would be so thin it would likely crumple when fit, or when being turned from a blank.
It is also interesting that the one or two guys who at one time re-bored to 9mm - stopped; and the service is no longer offered. One must wonder why.

#17 ·
The C96s were rebored as Vilm said, and not re-lined ; a liner would be so thin it would likely crumple when fit, or when being turned from a blank.
It is also interesting that the one or two guys who at one time re-bored to 9mm - stopped; and the service is no longer offered. One must wonder why.
I had a C-96 rebored by Redman. At the time he advised that he would no longer install a spacer in the chamber to properly headspace a 9mm cartridge. I asked why and he said that the spacers came loose. I asked how to headspace the cartridge and he said to seat the bullet out to touch the lands and provide the proper headspace. I shot a lot of cast bullets at the time and wasn't worried about over pressure but it was a poor idea and never shot accurately. I sold it and would never do it again.

OTOH, I have a C-96 that came from China and had been relined to .30 Mauser there. It shoots fine although not the most accurate C-96 I've ever shot. It tends to shoot high left.

WRT a Luger rebarrel, I had an excellent WW2 Mauser barrel installed on a WW1 Artillery receiver. Works like a charm. I use the same frame to shoot both 9mm and .30 caliber by swapping the barreled receivers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.