Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Luger noob needs input pls

Thanks, Martin. I decided to block $1500-$2K as my "Luger fund". Gotta build that up in my playtime budget, so that will give me time to look around. If/when I spot one that I take a hankering to, I'll run it by the gurus here for input.

If you want a shooter, I'd buy a nice looking Mauser pistol with a part or two already mismatched- but mostly matching.
    You should be able to find one for $800-1000 ; perhaps an upper/lower mismatch,

Such a pistol will always be worth a "shooter" price and you can shoot it without fear of losing value if you break a numbered part.
    If you want a "collectible" then buy the books and think on it a while- as advised above.
    Actually I believe that one luger is probably not enough, buy a shooter and another one to collect- then don't worry.

Many folks obsess about breaking parts, but it really is not a common occurrence in my opinion; but it will devalue an all matching
    piece if it happens.
    Maybe an ejector, which is not numbered anyway; I'm not sure how Ed managed to break two breech blocks! But he is special, , and a friend and frequently has
    a luger to sell.
    Any pistol, new or old is subject to parts breakage; and after 75 or more years, any given pistol may have suffered significant use or abuse.
    I have owned more than 100 lugers, fired at least half of them; some are mongrel shooters and fired a lot- built from parts- maybe I'm just lucky, but I have yet to break a part while
    shooting. I've bought parts that had chips or were broken but have yet to break one myself; others have and can relate their horror stories- it does happen.

Keep looking on the for sale sub-forum here, and you will likely find something within a month or three. JMHO.
    03man - Don Voigt
    Luger student and collector
    Looking for DWM mil.side plates- 69 and commercial # 32, Dreyse "K.S.Gendarmerie"

The advice from others to study first and buy later is very sound, as is the advice to purchase from a reliable dealer.
    In addition to Simpson I would also recommend Legacy. The owner is a forum member and stands 100% behind his sales.

I've purchased from both of them myself.
    Mike C.

German Navy Small Arms 1848-1918
    Life member: NRA, OVMS, VGCA
    Member: NAPCA, N-SSA(Veteran)
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Many folks obsess about breaking parts, but it really is not a common occurrence in my opinion, That's funny. Breech blocks, ejectors, extractors, grips, firing pins, toggle pin flanges..I guess I live an uncommon life.
    Most people don't shoot all that much. Not to worry about breakage a couple boxes a year. Shoot a lot and you WILL break something.
    Stick with Mauser for a hard shooter. The improvements Mauser made are worth having. They were made from experience with breakage.
    Jerry Burney
    11491 S. Guadalupe Dr.
    Yuma AZ 85367
    [email protected]

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
    719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."

I would also recommend David Rachwal's "Handguns of the World" site...straightshooter as far as a dealer...

Also include "Checkpoint Charlies" Internet site...

Checkpoint Charlies is a reputable dealer also.
    Laugh hard and often

Gary

Legacy and Checkpoint Charlie's - noted! I won't mind a M/M or forced matched piece for a shooter as long as it's in pretty decent shape. A RC would even do, although I don't like their dip blue finish.

Thanks again for all the valuable input!

Of all of the dealers I have seen and dealt with, David Rachwal at Handgunsoftheworld.com is by far my go-to dealer. Honest as they come and rock solid reputation and knowledge base.

(Note: this is not to say there arenít other honest dealers, I have seen plenty of other good recommendations in this thread as well.)

David Rachwal is a great guy. Yes very honest and usually not as high priced as many. Larry

https://m.handgunsoftheworld.com/cat...6/10420941.htm

Here would be a great one to have as a representative piece. Later production, mauser made, and all matching (besides the mag). While, generally, any dealer will charge more than a collector, you are paying for solid expertise. This is a nice example that is still in collectable condition, and is also one I wouldnít (personally) be worried about casually shooting some.

Best of luck! Iím still a new collector, but I have been reading anything I can get my hands on, and it really helps!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast