Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

Luger noob needs input pls

4K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  DaSOB 
#1 ·
Howdy -

I'm a regular over on Gunboards, but I'm a complete noobie to Lugers. I would like to get a nice representative WWII era one just as a representative piece. It doesn't have to be fancy or have any specific codes, but I'm partial to Mauser-made weapons. I would appreciate some guidance on what to look for, what to avoid, what I might expect to pay for one, etc.

If y'all would edumucate me, I would appreciate it!

#2 ·
Study first, buy books, study more, then buy Lugers.

Start with our free reference FAQ. Search "FAQ PDF" on this forum, and you'll find it toward the end of the hits.

Welcome to the forum.

#3 ·
DaSOB,

You might try looking at, Simpson Ltd. Their are a dealer in Lugers and have a good selection. Their prices run a little high, but they are a well trusted dealer. I would also suggest getting a good book on the type of Luger you want to buy.
Pat

#4 ·
Based on what you say, I would look for a Mauser manufactured with all matching numbers except the magazine. Matching mag drives up the price. Also, would insist on original finish. Figure to spend around $1,300.00 for a decent condition representative Luger.

Jim

#5 ·
Welcome Sam - it depends on what you want, and how much you're willing to spend.

i.e. a matching Mauser that you shoot could cost you $300-$800 if you break a numbered part (does happen, but not really common, but I've broken two breechblocks over time).

Shooter - Mauser but maybe mismatched parts - $800-$1000
Low end collectible - rougher finish, less bluing - $1000-$1300
Higher end collectible - 1300 +

Good places to look at guns - but cost more money - Simpson, LTD, Legacy Collectibles, Pre-98
Here on the forum there are shooters and nicer sold frequently

Ed

#6 ·
The advice above is good. However, if you just want a "representative piece" and don't want to go any further, then I wouldn't spend the money for books. If you are interested in the history and more detail, or want to get into collecting Lugers, then books are certainly the way to go. Just my opinion of course.

#7 ·
Luger tips by Mark Reese is a good representative Luger book extremely cheap. Broad overview, pretty pictures. It may not cover Mauser Luger's though? As cheap as it is it's a fun Luger book anyway. Neil is right though..almost any serious Luger book is serious money. Lots of info here on the site.

#8 ·
go to gunbroker and do a search on "WWII Luger". Do this everyday for a few weeks and you will get an idea of the prices. I think somewhere closer to $2000 will be what you find . Good luck and happy hunting!!

Bill

#9 ·
Thanks, all! got some good info that will help me set up a baseline. I'm looking more for a representative shooter than a true collectible, at least at this point. I'll start googling and checking Gunbroker to help define what I may actually want.

#10 ·
Feel free to PM me with a prospect or two, either here or over on Gunboards. I should be able to answer most of your questions and/or address your concerns. And if not, I can lead you to the right information.

The advice above to use one the well known dealers is sage. You will receive a vetted pistol, and if there is an issue, you can return it.

I think you will be happier with a $1,500 or more, than a $1,300 or less pistol. Like Ed said, you do take a risk if you use it at the range.

#11 ·
Thanks, Martin. I decided to block $1500-$2K as my "Luger fund". Gotta build that up in my playtime budget, so that will give me time to look around. If/when I spot one that I take a hankering to, I'll run it by the gurus here for input.

#12 ·
If you want a shooter, I'd buy a nice looking Mauser pistol with a part or two already mismatched- but mostly matching.
You should be able to find one for $800-1000 ; perhaps an upper/lower mismatch,

Such a pistol will always be worth a "shooter" price and you can shoot it without fear of losing value if you break a numbered part.
If you want a "collectible" then buy the books and think on it a while- as advised above.
Actually I believe that one luger is probably not enough, buy a shooter and another one to collect- then don't worry. :cool:

Many folks obsess about breaking parts, but it really is not a common occurrence in my opinion; but it will devalue an all matching
piece if it happens.
Maybe an ejector, which is not numbered anyway; I'm not sure how Ed managed to break two breech blocks! But he is special, :), and a friend and frequently has
a luger to sell.
Any pistol, new or old is subject to parts breakage; and after 75 or more years, any given pistol may have suffered significant use or abuse.
I have owned more than 100 lugers, fired at least half of them; some are mongrel shooters and fired a lot- built from parts- maybe I'm just lucky, but I have yet to break a part while
shooting. I've bought parts that had chips or were broken but have yet to break one myself; others have and can relate their horror stories- it does happen.

Keep looking on the for sale sub-forum here, and you will likely find something within a month or three. JMHO.

#13 ·
The advice from others to study first and buy later is very sound, as is the advice to purchase from a reliable dealer.
In addition to Simpson I would also recommend Legacy. The owner is a forum member and stands 100% behind his sales.

I've purchased from both of them myself.

#14 ·
Many folks obsess about breaking parts, but it really is not a common occurrence in my opinion, That's funny. Breech blocks, ejectors, extractors, grips, firing pins, toggle pin flanges..I guess I live an uncommon life.
Most people don't shoot all that much. Not to worry about breakage a couple boxes a year. Shoot a lot and you WILL break something.
Stick with Mauser for a hard shooter. The improvements Mauser made are worth having. They were made from experience with breakage.

#17 ·
Legacy and Checkpoint Charlie's - noted! I won't mind a M/M or forced matched piece for a shooter as long as it's in pretty decent shape. A RC would even do, although I don't like their dip blue finish.

Thanks again for all the valuable input!

#18 ·
Of all of the dealers I have seen and dealt with, David Rachwal at Handgunsoftheworld.com is by far my go-to dealer. Honest as they come and rock solid reputation and knowledge base.

(Note: this is not to say there aren’t other honest dealers, I have seen plenty of other good recommendations in this thread as well.)

#20 ·
https://m.handgunsoftheworld.com/catalog/item/8281316/10420941.htm

Here would be a great one to have as a representative piece. Later production, mauser made, and all matching (besides the mag). While, generally, any dealer will charge more than a collector, you are paying for solid expertise. This is a nice example that is still in collectable condition, and is also one I wouldn’t (personally) be worried about casually shooting some.

Best of luck! I’m still a new collector, but I have been reading anything I can get my hands on, and it really helps!

#21 ·
https://m.handgunsoftheworld.com/catalog/item/8281316/10420941.htm

Here would be a great one to have as a representative piece. Later production, mauser made, and all matching (besides the mag). While, generally, any dealer will charge more than a collector, you are paying for solid expertise. This is a nice example that is still in collectable condition, and is also one I wouldn’t (personally) be worried about casually shooting some.

Best of luck! I’m still a new collector, but I have been reading anything I can get my hands on, and it really helps!
Man, that would be perfect! Unfortunately, my slush fund money isn't up to it at the moment - I gotta keep saving and just hoping that when I do have the $$$, I will find what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.