Thread: Brown Bakelite Grip Identification - Help Needed

Post Brown Bakelite Grip Identification - Help Needed

Hi, I'm working on one of my lugers, and I'm trying to identify the grips. I have a 1938 S/42, every number matching except for the mag. The mag is a type 3. Would that have been with guns in 1938 or did those not get issued until 1939?

The grips on this model definitely aren't correct, but upon looking at the FAQ, I do know Kreighoff had brown bakelite grips and so were some early Mauser?
    I wanted to get opinions on where these grips are original or aftermarket. One was modified so it would hold well in the frame (see the metal attachment), and one appears to have some material removed around the mag release on the RH grip. LH side is heavier and they are slightly different color .

If these are original, is there any value as they are? I'm looking to get a set of correct grips for this 1938 S/42 if there is a trustworthy source out there. Thanks!
    CJ

IMG_6164.jpgIMG_6163.jpgIMG_6162.jpg

IMO these are not original grips and have never seen any quite like them as far as the "keeper's" on the inside. A 1938 S/42 should have wood grips. Twenty four 1938 pistols have passed thru my hands over the years and I have recorded that 13 were not numbered and 11 were.
    dave

Thanks Dave, that metal insert was definitely done to help keep that grip in place, as it was loose without it. Everything else down the firing pin is correct, so I'll try and find some appropriate wood grips. I was thinking at least the rh could possibly be an old brown bakelite. Do you know of anyone on here or a good place to find good, original Mauser military grips?

What is the last 2 digits of the SN? I have a few spares and I will check ....
    dave

Hi Dave, the last two are 28. Greatly appreciate you checking. Thanks!

Checked and found a pair for DWM that are numbered 28 but they are smaller numbers and not correct for a 1938. Was worth a try. Is this a high condition pistol or more of just a shooter. The reason I ask is that I see new lugr grips for sale on ebay and that could be an option. Good luck finding something that works for you...
    dave

Thanks for looking Dave! I wouldn't call it a high condition pistol. It has a little road rash on the side plate, and some grip strap wear, but it's definitely in nice enough condition to find some appropriate grips. Not necessarily numbered, but period correct. It's all original and completely matching outside of the mag and grips, so I would certainly like to get some original grips put on it. I will most likely part with it in the future, as I have other S/42's in great condition, but would want to have period correct grips with it for the next owner . I might look into eBay, but again, thanks for reaching out to me on it! - CJ