Thread: Understanding Luger Grips - Is there a good reference on the site?

Default Understanding Luger Grips - Is there a good reference on the site?

Hi folks, I've recently posted posted about a Luger of mine, and how I'm looking for proper grips. I've done some research and talked with a couple of guys, and I've spent a little time looking around on the forum regarding grips.

This may already be well covered, but I was wondering if there is a sticky or thread on here that goes into a bit of detail regarding authentic grips...ie numbered vs, armorer's acceptance marks vs unnumbered and determining authenticity and provenance. I'll have to do some research in my Jan Still books, but thought I'd see if there has been a comprehensive or detailed discussion on the matter that I could be pointed to on the site.

Thanks for considering!

CJ

some info on the black grips that might help some...https://luger.gunboards.com/showthre...s-data-request
    dave

What you are asking is likely all over, on this site and many books.

Besides Dave's thread above, I don't think anyone has tried.

There is information on Mauser lugers in Joop and Don Hallocks book, Krieghoff grips in Gibson, Simson Lugers (although we didn't cover it in depth), etc.

You are talking five major manufacturers over many years - DWM war time - DWM weimar army and police - DWM commercial - Erfurt military, Mauser pre-war, war time and commercial - Krieghoff and Simson - then of course Swiss and Dutch grips

Ed
    Edward Tinker
    Co-Author of Police Lugers
    Co-Author of Simson Lugers
    Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I -- Vol II and Vol III - a collection of stories on guns & equipment brought back by GI's.

And then there are the valid replacements and post war variations to consider.

Co-Author 'The Parabellum Is Back! 1945-2000'.

I'll peruse the forums and see what I can find. I had a conversation about replacement grips, and for some, the subject is probably pretty dry, but I found it very interesting, so I thought I'd see if there was any particular coverage of the topic. I'm sure it could be a book of its own. Thanks for the feedback.

Did you look at our FAQ document? Just search "FAQ PDF" and look toward the last of the hits.

Start reading around page 16. The index and table of contents is all searchable.
    Igitur si vis pacem, para bellum -
    - if you wish for peace, prepare for war.