Thread: ID Help Please

Default ID Help Please

I'm hoping someone can help me understand a German Luger that I am considering buying. After spending the morning reading "The Standard Catalog of Luger", I've figured out a little but still have lots of questions.
    What I know:

• The chamber is marked "41"
    • The toggle is marked "42"
    • 4" barrel
    • Has stock lug
    • Checkered toggle knobs
    • Safety is labeled "GESICHERT"

It came with a leather holster and single magazine. The magazine is marked 128.

This leads me to believe that this gun was build by Mauser for sale to the military in 1942

What's very strange and I don't understand

• There is no serial number on the front of frame
    • There is no serial number on side of frame (which started in 1938)
    • On the bottom of the barrel where the serial number should be, it is marked "S/42" which is kind of contradictory with the "42" toggle mark (and, again, has no serial number)
    • It has no proof marks at all
    • You have to field strip it to find any other marks that I haven't already described.

Al this makes me wonder if this is a genuine Luger or some sort of rebuild/refinish.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mark, Welcome to the Forum. Something is sadly humped up about this gun. It is certainly NOT how it fell off the assembly line. There may be many more things but the first bad abnormality I spotted was on the right side of the pistol directly above the trigger is a trigger pivot pin. For whatever reason this pin, attached to and part of the trigger, looks like a pop rivet? That's strange enough but the curvature on the frame just above the trigger us wallowed out, buffed or ground away. This trigger hole should be sharp edged, not rounded over.

On the right side of the bolt near a retaining pin there appears to be a Crown marking. You might want to take the pistol apart if you have access to it and closely inspect what you might find inside. No matter what you find..it's NOT a collector grade. It's a shooter...IF it will shoot.
    Jerry Burney
    11491 S. Guadalupe Dr.
    Yuma AZ 85367
    [email protected]

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
    719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."

The chamber date "41" indicates that it was made in 1941 while the "42" on the middle toggle was the code for Mauser. The lack of serial numbers and inspection/proof marks suggests that it's been scrubbed for whatever reason. It could, I suppose, have been a lunch bucket Luger taken out of the factory a piece at a time until the complete gun was assembled at home.

What Jerry says about the "pop rivet" is true. The pin should be smooth on the end. Another possibility is that a pin punch was used to make the pin and the pin was broken from the punch. There's no real pressure on the pin so it could be either.

While interesting, Jerry is also correct that it's a shooter without collector value.
    Lugers; A Century & Counting!

It was a wise decision to ask before purchasing. Saved yourself some money, and potential headaches.

Run, don't walk, away from this one...a true hatchet job boat anchor...

Thanks guys, appreciate the help!

Bottom of the barrel, where the S/N should be, instead marked S/42, means it is a replacement barrel...

I guess someone tried to pass this Luger off as one of the 7,000 odd 41/42 (unintended) variation...