Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

Artillery Luger

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Hoolie114 
#1 ·
Hello all. New member, new collector here. A good friend of mine inherited a few Lugers, and I've managed to get my hands on an artillery model. I'm very much stumped on accurately dating it. It seems to have been scrubbed of the full serial and date. Most other markings are there, and the rest of the numbers match. I've attached a couple of Imgur links to higher res photos.

http://imgur.com/gallery/MXAHruL

http://imgur.com/gallery/HyLJjkJ

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum. Your Artillery or LP-08 Luger should make a fine shooter. They are generally very accurate. The scrubbing of the serial numbers and date takes it out of the collector arena.

There could be a legal issue WRT the serial number. The frame is considered to be the gun and should have a serial number. The barrel and receiver don't require one. Other members here can advise you on what to do about it.

You can narrow the date to 1917 or 1918. The simplified rear sight without fine adjustments for elevation came into use in 1917 and continued through 1918 production. Early 1917 production still used the adjustable rear sight so the simplified sight was phased in part way through 1917.

#3 ·
well, the receiver must have been scrubbed, as there should be a number there, besides the front of the frame.
But, that frame sure looks like it never received a serial number. Perhaps after the war, it was put together by a GI.
Serial numbers were not required before 1968, but removed ones are the way people get nervous.

#6 ·
Much appreciated guys. I didn't think it'd be a "collector" piece, and I know for a fact the man the Lugers were inherited from brought them over before 1968, so I'm not worried about the legalities of the serial number. I just like to know everything I can about any historical firearms I get

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.