Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

Walther Factory Engraved Model 8

5K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  arfieldsiv 
#1 ·
Gentlemen,

I am delighted to be able to share with this Forum a significant addition to my collection. Today I received a Walther "Deluxe" Model 8 pistol with full engraving and original mother-of-pearl grips. I have longed for a Deluxe Model 8 for years and I am delighted to have finally acquired one.

I am especially pleased that the blue finish with pearl grips makes a nice set with my blue finish with pearl grip engraved Model 9.

I took some hasty pictures so I could share with you.

Let me know what you think.

Earl

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
A big thanks to all of you for your positive comments about the engraved Model 8 and Model 9 Walther pistols.

Even though they were almost certainly engraved by different craftsmen, and at different times, (around 1922 for the Model 9 and around 1927 for the Model 8) they share the unique Thuringian engraving style and Walther Factory design and quality which allows them to match up wonderfully after nearly a century.

#11 ·
Vaclav,

Thanks for the nice comments.

Which style of engraving do I value more? I confess that I am somewhat partial to the style on the factory engraved Walther Model 8 and Model 9 pistols in my collection, because possession enhances appreciation. I have the Model 8 and Model 9 shown in this post and two other factory engraved Model 9s. All four are different patterns and finish. They were all hard to come by and I feel very fortunate to have them in my collection.

Of the two engraved pistols that you provided pictures of, 478375 with gold finish and mother-of-pearl grips is a true Walther factory "deluxe" pistol. It is a valuable pistol that sold for well over the estimate at auction. The second Model 8 is quite handsome, but it is not a Walther factory engraved pistol and would have a much lower value.

In general I would say that of the different styles of Thuringian engraving that I am familiar with (I am no expert), I like the "Eichenlaubornamen" or oak-leaf style best, and I believe other collectors do as well. The "German Scroll", "English Scroll", "Thistle Ornament", and other engraving styles are all outstanding in their own way as well, but the oak leaf and oak leaf wit acorns style is a classic German look. Having original finish adds considerably more valuable than a refinished pistol. Poor, but original finish is often more desirable than a mint refinished gun. Gold wash, nickel, and blue finish rank in value from top to bottom. Factory ivory or mother-of-pearl grips also add to the value. Each factory original pistol is unique and needs to be valued on its own particular characteristics.

#14 ·
Earl,
I understand very well why you purchased this pistol .
Now you have a beautiful pair of Walther 9 and 8 model pistols in the same style .
I am sincerely glad of your good fortune .

I really like your answer .
You have made a good description of the different styles of engraving and finishing of Walther pistols .
I also like the traditional style with the image of oak leaves and acorns .
This style emphasizes the German spirit of these pistols .
But if value engraving as an art, then I appreciate the ornament with small curls as on expensive hunting rifles .
This type of engraving requires high skill .

Regards,
Vaclav

#12 ·
Earl, I just now saw this thread after being away for several days. This latest Model 8 is the stuff of dreams. Even worn white, a factory engraved Walther 8 or 9 is a bragging rights gun, and the condition of this one raises the bar to impossible heights.

I am stunned by the quality of the examples in your collection. I have to believe that, in its entirety, your grouping of Walther 6.35mm pistols must be one of the finest and most complete ever assembled.

Incidentally, in your post above, you seem to imply that the gold engraved Model 8 that Vaclav posted (the photo with the green background) is the same incredible factory gold deluxe Model 8 sold at RIA back in 2017. May I ask why you think this? I just looked up the photos of the 2017 sale, and the RIA pistol (serial no. 478357) is most certainly not the pistol in Vaclav's photo.

Vaclav, if you are reading this, can you tell us where you happened across that picture?

#15 ·
Bob,
It's Good that you paid attention to the image of this gold engraved model of the Walther model 8 pistol .
That's right, it's not the same gun that was sold at the RIA auction .
This pistol belonged to Colonel-General Andrey Zhdanov .
This man is a very famous person .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrei_Zhdanov

This pistol is in one of the Russian museums .
Unfortunately, I have no way to find out the serial number of this pistol .
I think this engraving on the pistol was also made at the Walther factory .

Regards,
Vaclav

#13 ·
Bob,
The insights that you bring to the discussion are always of great value. I have worked hard, (and at times been very lucky) to build the collection of Walther Model 8 and Model 9 pistols that I have. I know of pistols in other collections that exceed the quality of some of my pieces, but I believe that I may have the most comprehensive collection of all variations that has been assembled. Thank you for your comments.

I am embarrassed to admit that you are absolutely correct about my incorrectly identifying the picture in Vaclav's post as the engraved Model 8 that sold at the Rock Island auction a couple of years ago. I reviewed pictures and, while the two pistols are similar and were almost certainly engraved by the same craftsman, they are different guns. I have posted pictures of both remarkable pistols.

Earl

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.