Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

A mint boxed FN Mod.1900

4K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  TA6319 
#1 ·
Hi Friends, would like to share this boxed FN Browning Mod.1900 that I found at a Gunshow in Germany some time ago. As you can see it is perfect and has no signs of use (just some handling over the years...). I think that the spare magazine was never inserted in the pistol... Too bad the cleaning rod and the screwdriver are missing... Who knows if I will be able, soon or later, to complete this nice box...
The serial
number is 469150 and I would be very pleased to know (please, Anthony...) the year of manufacture...
Thanks for watching !
Fausto

See less See more
#7 ·
Hello Fausto,

Either late 1908 or 1909. I can tell that the presentation case laid open on display for a long time, you may care to know that the satin and fabric were originally green and that UV light damage changed the color to yellow. I guess you are looking for the screwdriver and cleaning rod.

Beautiful!

Anthony

#10 ·
Thanks guys !
and thanks Anthony for your precious details... Yes, I would pay an arm and a leg to complete the case with the cleaning rod and the flat screwdriver, but I think that will be not an easy (impossible?) task... As for the case, yes, the interior looks yellow, but actually is pale green. I couldn't say if the case is linen or leather...It appears like some kind of very thin artificial leather... Unfortunately I cannot take pictures at this moment (I took the above pictures when I bought the pistol in Germany...). In any case the closure is assured by a couple of elaborated and finely made brass hooks on the base of the case and two small brass rings on the cover...
Thanks again for your help !
Stay well !
Fausto

#13 ·
Hello Fausto,

Stretched linen with a tight weave was the most common. The linen was waxed, an older term sometimes used for weatherproofing but in this case to reduce the appearance of linen. The waxing gave it a feel of leather or a solid substance.

On the leather cases, they peeled the hide and only used the outer layer of the leather, so it is very thin and takes the shape of the case easily.

From the little I can see, I think you may have the waxed linen, as I see some wear on one edge that looks like fabric.

Thanks
Anthony

#14 ·
Hello Anthony,
From what you say and what I see, yes, it is linen indeed... Thank you so much for your kind replies and for the informations... I guess that looking for an original cleaning rod and a flat screwdriver will be a near impossible task... Am I right ?
Thanks again !
Fausto

#15 ·
Yes, very difficult on the open market. This is usually something that will be in old collections and is usually only sold or traded as a favor. I made an inquiry for you, I know a collector in Europe who is selling...

More if I have positive news.

Anthony

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.