Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

faked markings?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  trinxet 
#1 ·
Hi !
Please have a look on this G P08, is from a friend of me, and I think it has been remounted, remarked etc, but before telling him this bad news I want to confirm it!
Thanks in advance

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
From the photos, it appears some rusty parts were filed or sanded down then a cold-bluing solution applied. The numbering appears, as you suggest, added. There may be some original numbers but I am not sure which are the originals. The inspection stamps are simply wacky--maybe the guy who did the reworking had one of these stamps (they are not real cheap) and put it to use here. The gun is entertaining as an example of a luger--it is made of pre-1945 luger parts including what appears to be a real "G" date receiver. It might even shoot but I wouldn't bet on its safety.

#3 ·
trinxet,

You are right! The proofs on the right of barrel extension are incorrect and have been put there post war. The second picture shows how much metal was taken off the left and right sides of the barrel extension to make way for the spurious E/89. These gaps are a affront to German craftsmanship. The trigger plate was at one time cut for the sear safety. The bottom of the barrel exhibits classic pipe wrench marks in an attempt to remove the barrel from the extension. A shooter maybe. A collectiable no no and no.

Geo.

#7 ·
We see many different approaches at faked markings, here. Some are very well done and difficult to identify. It is refreshing to see Eagle/89 in the very first picture, and know that my brain can stop working instantly.

Just curious, is this Luger in South America?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.