Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1917 / 1920 DWM Luger - need assistance

5K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Vlim 
#1 ·
I acquired this 1917 /1920 luger when my father died 2 years ago. I have started some research but felt it was time to get on here and ask the folks that have much more knowledge than what I have picked up. I have included many detailed photographs in order for you all to help me in determining its worth. At this point I am torn whether to sell or keep. I am not a collector and feel in some ways it would be better off in the hands of someone who truly will appreciate it. In saying that, I started my journey in by taking it to a local gun shop who i was referred to by the gun range I visited. After looking over the piece, they offered me $750 for it. I understand the price because they would need to resell. A friend suggested I get on here to see if I can get more details and a better appraisal and possibly sell for a price better than what I was quoted locally.

I am hopeful to learn more about this historical piece and what it is really worth. Any information regarding it numerous markings would be helpful. All pieces have the same serial number, the only place I have not checked is handle.

Look forward to hearing what you all have to tell me

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like a re barreled former WW1 artillery used during the Weimar period (double dated). Some DWM parts and some Erfurt parts. Erfurt parts used to replace worn out DWM parts as done by the Erfurt arsenal when these were produced for the Reichwehr/Wiemar Police. It seems that this one was originally a police designated rework (sear safety and x'ed out grip markings) and then possibly re designated for military use later on when the need grew. This one is a bit beat up but still in good shape overall considering its age. Very interesting historical item and not often seen. $750 seems to me a low ball price at least from a historical perspective. Gun shops are filled with guys who only know plastic guns and AR's, who only care about a resale on old guy stuff. I should estimate $1500-2000. But, there are far wiser people than me on this site who can correct me.

#4 ·
I moved this from want to sell to the new collector area.

It is mismatched (correct me if I am wrong, but the take down lever is #37 and the rest are $57 - plus one appears to be overstamped). - if I was selling, I'd try to get around $800-$900 for it, so the offer was actually very fair.

It is a police luger, the crossed out markings are the earlier police marking and then the toe / heel of the luger shows the police marking of -
Sächsische Landsicherheitzpolizei Leipzig

A Saxony unit marking in Germany

#15 ·
It is a police luger, the crossed out markings are the earlier police marking and then the toe / heel of the luger shows the police marking of -
Sächsische Landsicherheitzpolizei Leipzig
A slight correction: As per HWIS Chap. 14, the earlier, canceled marking S.L.Pol. represents the immediate postwar Sächsische Landessichereitspolizei (Saxony State Security Police) while the S.P.L. marking on the toe represents the Säcnsische Polizei Leipzig which was created in reorganizations in 1921-22.

#5 ·
Looking closer it look to be either a 3 or a 5, I do not have an example of what a 3 looks like, but almost looks like a mis stamped 5. I zoomed in real close and it has a tail like 5. You are far more experienced than I am so I see what you are referring to.

#6 ·
I think it is an interesting piece. I agree that it appears to be a Weimar rework. The Erfurt stamp on the rear toggle, the notched receiver, and and the Weimar proof eagles added near the Imperial proofs support the idea this was a re-barreled Artillery Luger. I do not think this Luger has been messed with other than by Weimar officials. If the stamp on the take down lever is a three it would seem to be in a smaller font than the seven.
It is a nine millimeter which is good for its shooter value, I do not think Ed's estimate for the price is far off but it would be a fun piece to own.

#7 · (Edited)
It seems like all the 5's that i can see on the gun are in a different font than the 7's and off centered by comparison. Not sure how typical that is of police/arsenal rebuilds/reworks but something I noticed all the same. I think it is also a 3 on the takedown lever because it closely matches the font of the 3 on the receiver SN, which also looks like it was overstamped with 4 afterwards. That said, I agree that it is an interesting piece. Best of luck in selling it if that is what you decide to do.

#8 ·
From what I can see, it began life as a 1917 DWM LP-08. It was apparently reworked by the Weimar era police who replaced the barrel and rear toggle link. Note the C/N commercial proofs on the right receiver and frame rail as well as the barrel which is consistent with being re-proved after major repairs. I, too, cannot determine if the first number on the take down lever is a 3 or a 5. The extractor may also have been overstamped and the barrel serial numbers appear to have been overstamped too.

It is likely as it was issued to the police after WW1. WRT value, I'd agree with Ed at about $800 which means that the offer from the LGS was very reasonable.

If you live in the middle GA area - Macon, etc - I'd be pleased to have a closer look at it.

#9 ·
If you live in the middle GA area - Macon, etc - I'd be pleased to have a closer look at it.[/QUOTE]

I live in Alpharetta, just north of Atlanta. The GM at Forsyth Pawn offered $750 in store credit, which would work since they can get me what I am looking for, but after learning all this history I am now torn as to keep or sell.

#10 ·
I live in Alpharetta, just north of Atlanta. The GM at Forsyth Pawn offered $750 in store credit, which would work since they can get me what I am looking for, but after learning all this history I am now torn as to keep or sell.
Just my opinion but if you sell it, you're likely to have regrets later. That pistol has a LOT of history and while not an all matching collectible, it's worth keeping.

#12 ·
I'm not an expert on pricing, but my 'guess' is that if you really got the story straight on this pistol, someone would pay more than the numbers being floated.

For example: "Amazing journey through WW1 and the Weimar Republic, courtesy of this rare pistol. This pistol most likely started off - in 1917 - as a XYZ configuration, made by DWM. In 1920, due to the punitive requirements of the Treaty of Versailles, it was stamped 1920 by Erfurt. It was then used as a Police pistol ( see the police sear safety), in the Saxony region (or wherever it was). See the unit stampings on the frame. Additionally, the pistol has a wide variety of proof marks, acceptance marks, and other marks indicating its lengthy service. It's quite possible that this pistol served in WW1, then as a Police Pistol, then perhaps sold commercially, and then again served The Third Reich during Hitler's rule. All in all, you will probably not see a pistol with this much history available for sale for quite a while."

Something like that. You see my point. Your Luger is more than a firearm; it's a story. And a darned interesting one. Good luck!

#13 ·
No offense, but “store credit” sucks. You’re locked in to them, you have no control over any mark up they may want to add into your account, etc. You’ve got an interesting gun and one that would be safe to shoot without risking damage to a matching part. If you decided to sell, I think you’d do far better selling it yourself here, on the other Luger forum, Tuco’s, etc.

#16 ·
Nice markings, here is another one.
This came from the estate of a former SS/Police officer who ended his career at the Tirol - Italian border.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.