Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

New 1902 American Eagle Fat Barrel

6K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Yakman 
#1 ·
I got very lucky recently and found this luger in a small community less than 20 miles from my home. A year ago someone showed me a picture of this gun at the Charlotte, N.C. gun show. It belonged to his neighbor. It took me more than a year to meet the owner and acquire the gun.
It's a very nice 1902 AE Fat Barrel, serial #22679. It seems correct in all respects - correct serial range, polished safety, short frame, 9mm, stepped chamber and "GERMANY" marked. There are no proofs on the gun. The finish is original(95%+) and all numbers match. The grips are unnumbered. The mag is an early period commercial mag with the "flaming bomb" acceptance, but I believe the 9mm script mag is correct for the gun.
The overall condition is excellent but I believe Ron Wood has one that is close to mint. When I study Dwight Gruber's commercial number listing(which we are very fortunate to have), I still find it difficult to extrapolate how many of these were produced. So....I have two questions:
-Can someone offer up a good opinion as to production numbers of the AE variation?
- Is my magazine correct or do I need to find a 9mm script mag?
All help and opinions are appreciated. Thanks!

Tim H.

See less See more
#2 ·
That is, indeed, a beauty and you were very fortunate to find it.

A friend of mine, nearly 30 years ago, found one in rather sad condition and had it professionally restored. It was returned to him looking like it had just left the factory. A marvelous piece.

#3 ·
What a beautiful piece you have there.

Tim, Still's estimated production of 1902 A.E. Commercial pistols, ie the "Fat Barrel" is 860, but you probably already knew that and are looking for a later estimate.

By the way, my Fat Barrel sn is 22654, very close to yours.

I think the 9mm script mag is correct, but lets wait for Ron Wood's information.

#5 ·
By serial number, about 1,400 short frame Old Model pistols were produced. It is impossible to extrapolate a breakdown of the variations from sample reports. I know this is unsatisfactory. By far the largest number of reports of non-specialized pistols (Dutch and German test pistols, and cartridge counters) are American Eagles. SPECULATION: Still's number is low.

Sturgess has the 3-digit small-part stamping from late 10,000 numbers to mid-22,000 range.

The Cal 9m/m magazines have 100.2mm long follower slots, and are therefore only appropriate for New Model Parabellums.

--Dwight

#8 ·
Here are higher res photos, I had the pleasure of helping Tim photograph this pistol and it is in incredible shape. High quality bluing like this is so hard to accurately photograph. Enjoy!

Attachments

#10 ·
From many years of personal observation,I would say the split is about 1100 02 Eagles to 300 02 Commercials. Commercials are much tougher to find in original condition. Many of the restored 02 commercials started out life as low condition Eagles, as it is easier to remove what`s left of a worn Eagle than to engrave a new eagle prior to restoration. Doug

#12 ·
I do not want to steal Tim’s thunder. He has found an outstanding 1902 Fat Barrel and I was so pleased when he contacted me about it. He knew my particular affection for that model. Since he has mentioned mine, I will go ahead and present it.

I have owned mine for many years and it is one of the best Lugers I own. I have lost track of when I acquired it but it had to be the late 1960s/early 1970s. After I bought it, I showed it to the “Luger Variations” author, Harry Jones. Harry along with Fred Datig were pioneers in chronicling and cataloging the variations and history of the Luger. I visited Harry in his Torrance, California, shop and when he saw my gun, he reached under the counter and pulled out an old notebook. He had a record of the gun, knew a previous owner, and stated it was the best example he had seen. I was elated at having such praise coming from a prominent authority. I treasure the memory to this day.
Ron

Attachments

#14 ·
Wow, Ron! You've been holding out on us. Your '02 needs to be on a book cover. I'm glad you posted it - a near perfect example! Does your's have the Cal.9mm mag?
Tim

#21 ·
Ron, measure the slot, if it's 99.2 mm you have an argument, if it's 100.2 mm Dwight has the argument.

I have a very minty mag with a 99.2 mm slot and a Cal. 9m/m. wood bottom. Not one of the reproduction bottoms which are obvious. The way I read "Sturgess" the 9m/m bottom is proper in the 99.2 mm mag as the 100.2 mm slot came somewhat later. I will say "Sturgess" is not as definitive on this point as one would like, but that's the way I read it, anyway. If the old model Navy commercials had them why not the Fat Barrels, same time period, both mad by DWM.

I do have a Fat Barrel but this mag didn't come with it. It came with a plain bottom mag with a 100.2 slot. More than likely a replacement.

Jack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.