Thread: Usin Patent Pistols

Default Usin Patent Pistols

Curious if any member is familiar with the Usin Patent. It is believed to be Spanish in origin but I can't find it listed among Spanish design patents or trademarks. It may have been registered in another country, perhaps Belgium. It is known from just a few facts.

Juan Calvo wrote that “Orbea y Cia” in 1912 obtained its first patent for an automatic pistol based on the Clement that it never did manufacture; In 1913 it applied for a patent of introduction for “improvements to automatic firearms” and in 1914 obtained a patent of invention for “firing mechanism and safety for automatic pistols” which was used in a 6.35 mm caliber model which was probably never produced beyond prototype, and if it was, it was very limited. This pistol is pictured in Mathews and A. B. Zhuk’s “The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Handguns”."

Orbea y Cia, which made mostly revolvers, did make or contract an Eibar style pistol that mentioned the Usin Patent in the slide language, but without a Patent Number. Calvo pictures this pistol in an article but the resolution is poor.

Fellow member Valclav found the following pistol in museum photos. It is shown with the slide moved forward. Based on the pictures it is a striker fired weapon. It has an unusual knurled knob on the muzzle barrel and the trigger guard is part of the break down, similar to the Martian pistols and Walther PP/PPks.

Does anyone have more information on the Usin?

usin аа.jpgusin а.jpg

wow, now that is a strange one. I never saw one of those before but with that exposed spring I can see why. I can't believe it was too reliable.
    Sam.

no idea but cool!

Not that it means anything, but I have never seen anything like it or referenced in my Belgian research.

Just a note: the old trend has sprung up again to assign Spanish made pistols as Belgian manufactured guns. The deception that was done a century ago still has some fooled today.

Thanks for sharing an interesting design.
    Anthony
    Author of FN Browning Pistols, FN Mauser Rifles, Holsters & Shoulder-Stocks of the World
    Co-author of Allied Rifle Contracts, Browning Auto-5 Shotguns
    Publisher of VIS Radom, The FN-49
    www.fnbrowning.com

Hi, the monogram under "Usin" could be a HV and that would be "Hourat et Vie" of Pau France, on the Spanish border. This is a guess, so take it as one, regards, Mike

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.
    Bob