Thread: Beirut explosion.

Default Beirut explosion.

I believe that is the largest non-nuclear explosion I've ever seen. The videos of it are just amazing. I've seen the explosions made by the "Big blue 82" and it wont hold a candle to the one in Beirut. A ship with amonium nitrate blew-up in Galveston Texas in 1947. It had 23 tons of the stuff on board and it leveled the city.
    Pat
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    San Francisco, CA, May 13, 1903
    By Theodore Roosevelt

Pat McNeil

Pat, Yes..I have been following this. Pretty sad testament to greed and avarice. Incompetence & neglect. Pretty much what placed the explosive in that warehouse was greedy dock fees. Beirut officials wanting their pound of flesh passing through. It was a bad bargain.
    Jerry Burney
    11491 S. Guadalupe Dr.
    Yuma AZ 85367
    [email protected]

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
    719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."

It had to be the Russians.
    John

Twenty-seven hundred and fifty tons of ammonium nitrate in one place. I haven't seen a shock wave like that in anything but a nuclear explosion Unbelievable.
    Ron
    If it is made after 1918...it is a reproduction.

Having lived in Oklahoma City my entire life and working downtown, I can remember what a few 55 gallon barrels of ammonium nitrate can do. I can only imagine what it must have been like in Beirut.
    "Getting old ain't for sissies"
    Bette Davis

You guys show read about the Halifax Disaster in 1917. The biggest explosion recorded until the Hiroshima A-Bomb.
    Collecting data about Brazilian Lugers.

Quote Originally Posted by greerhw View Post
    Having lived in Oklahoma City my entire life and working downtown, I can remember what a few 55 gallon barrels of ammonium nitrate can do. I can only imagine what it must have been like in Beirut.
    When I was attending my FLETC (Federal LE Training Center) class we saw a mock-up of the AFNO bomb Timothy McVeigh made for the OKC Federal building. The bomb tech, a retired USN EOD, said he was a poor bomb maker. All the AFNO didn't explode. We were told, if it had- the entire building would have come down.

G2

Approximattely a thirteenth of Little Boy - that is a little bit more than one kt of TNT equivalent...

In 1947 an ammonium nitrate explosion leveled Texas City .

July 28, 1947 : same thing for the port of Brest after the explosion of the Ocean Liberty (norvegian Liberty Ship). 3300 tons of ammonium nitrate, lubricants, petrol etc...).