Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

Could someone please identify this Luger for my son?

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Mobandyjp82 
#1 ·
Hello. My son is thinking of buying this Luger. Can someone Identify It for him? Sorry that the photos may not be greatThanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks to be an alphabet commercial Luger made in the 1920's as DWM tried to stay afloat after post-WW1 sanctions, although the front sight looks to be custom or at least not factory. They're usually well made guns, but are among the most common Lugers encountered in the US and so are not as collectible as others. As long as the price is right, it looks like a nice entry-level collectible for him.

#3 ·
HerrKaiser has given you good advice. Check under the side plate and take down lever for the last two digits of the serial number. They should be 44. The front sight is not original but can be replaced if desired.

You don't mention caliber. Most of the Alphabet commercial Lugers are .30 caliber (7.65mm). While cartridges are more expensive than 9mm, they are very accurate and the guns are reliable. Buy a Mec-Gar magazine to shoot and save the older mag which looks to be a later aluminum base. The original would have been wood base.

It looks to be in excellent condition and if the bore is as nice as the exterior, it will be well worth owning if the price is right.

#6 ·
Since this is a commercial luger, I do not believe you will find numbers on the inside of the side plate, only the last two
digits of the serial number on the bottom of the side plate.

#14 ·
This is likely NOT chamber in 9x19mm, but rather in 7.65×21mm Parabellum (.30 Luger).

Some folks will not pay as much for a gun which ammunition is harder to find.

But I agree with the "fair" asking price. The shop will eventually get the money, or very close. The gun is very nice. And judging by the ghosting of the barrel stamps, it is in very good original finish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.