Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

S/42 1936 Serial Number 2

7K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  MFC 
#1 ·
Hello,
I picked up this Luger recently and would like to know more about it.
All numbered parts are 2 including the firing pin.Mag is 7119 so no match there grips are unnumbered as far as I can tell
There is a bit of wood missing on the left grip near the lug otherwise in nice shape.
I am interested in how significant is the single digit size serial?
Also what condition grade would you consider it?

Thanks
Shoedog

See less See more
#3 ·
The serial is 2g. Military lugers were produced in blocks Ex. 1a to 9999a- 1b to 9999b etc.... Take some good pictures outside overcast day to best show true finish condition. , include the front/rear grip straps.
Although neat, I do not think the serial would draw much of a premium on a luger in this condition. (very good?) Maybe slightly more on a near mint example. These are my thoughts, and others might disagree. John

#20 ·
The blocks run from 1x thru 10000x, each block consisting of 10,000 pistols. I have seen photos of two 10000 marked P.08s. Since there is only one five digit number per block, I would certainly pay a bonus for that.

#5 ·
Nice 1936 Luger it can be found in the f suffix- p suffix with a total production of 86 thousand more or less so your g suffix serial number 2 is meaning less other than it is a single digit and the second one off of the line in g suffix. The pistol still shows some nice strawed parts.
Happy Hunting!
Peter

#13 ·
I believe there were nine full prefix production runs (g through o) in 1936. And there would have been only 9 single digits per prefix block.

So, only 90 guns in 1936 would have had a single digit serial. I don't think it would add a great premium, but someone would pay at least a little more just for the cool factor. I like it enough so that if equal condition guns were made available, I would consider a couple hundred more.

And I could say that I had a No.2 at the range, and folks might give me a wider berth.

#16 ·
You have a very early 1936 pistol (probably made in January or February of that year).

Please look inside the side plate and check to see of the digit "1" or "2" is present inside, stamped toward the center of the flat area.

There are, of course, very few single digit pistols. That certainly increases the interest factor, if not the financial value. You do have what appears to be a very nice collectible Luger.

#21 ·
Here are more photos if anyone cares to give their opinion on grade
No two grading systems are alike. Here is where your gun would fall in the NRA Antique Grading. Fine-plus or Excellent-minus

EXCELLENT: All original parts; over 80% original finish; sharp lettering, numerals, and design on metal and wood; unmarred wood; fine bore.

FINE:
All original parts; over 30% original finish; sharp lettering, numerals, and design on metal and wood; minor marks in wood; good bore.
My own grading system would call it 60-70% finish with high point finish loss and moderate to heavy patina on grip straps. Stocks with worn points on checkering and some compression. Bore, unknown.

I would call it Good to Good-plus. It is not close to Fine-Excellent, IMO.

And after good pictures like you have provided, the market would settle a value all by itself.

#22 ·
The first block produced for the military each year prior to and during WW1 will not have a suffix letter; i.e., 1 ~ 10000 no suffix. The next block will be 1a ~ 10000a followed by b, c etc. There are exceptions as the first Lugers procured for military use prior to WW1 have commercial type numbering.

Prior to and during WW1, production for each year began with 1 ~ 10000 no suffix and continued through the alphabet until the end of the year was reached. At the beginning of the new year, it began once more with a no suffix run. At no time during WW1 production were all letters used.

Following WW1, 1920 & 1921 military and police pistols began each year with a no suffix block followed by suffixes a & b. As commercial production exceeded serial number 90000, it raised the concern that they may have to use six digit serial numbers which they did not want to do. Thus, at approximately 92000 commercial serial number, they began using a suffix letter for both military and commercial production. These are commonly known as "alphabet commercial" Lugers. While it is commonly accepted that combined production began at 2000i - the equivalent of 92000 if the suffix method was applied - Gortz & Sturgess note in chapter 10 that they believe the change began with serial number 1i as i block serial numbers as low as 74i have been noted. They also note that the entire i block was committed to commercial production.

The alphabet production did not revert to a no suffix block at the beginning of each year but continued through the alphabet year after year. Mauser seems to have continued that practice when they began production.

#26 ·
This plate is from my "G" date (1935). The number inside is in the same position that DWM put theirs. It might be in this position on your very early 1936 Luger. Later Mauser moved the position of the number to the flat portion of the inside. Note that my "G" date has been reblued. This one is stamped "12" inside (the "1" is very light) and corresponds to the first digits of the serial number +1.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.