Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

Mauser Banner 1941 E/L - Need some expert opinions

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  tharpo 
#1 ·
Hello all. I am new to the forum and new to Luger collecting. I participated in an auction recently and thought this was too good to pass up. Pistol is in very good condition with 2 matching mags. Once I got it home, I started to second guess myself and wondered what the experts think. The grips are telling me vopo rework, but there are no other markings on the gun to confirm that. I am a bit of a purist, so is this something in 90+% condition with the wrong grips or something worse? I paid $1400 after the buyer premium, Did I go too far? All feedback appreciated.

Thank you,
Tom

See less See more
#7 ·
tblack,

From the photos this looks like an exceptionally nice VOPO reworked Mauser Banner Police Luger. To what extent it was reworked I can't tell, but it really doesn't matter as it is what it is and a nice variation to own. Especially at the $1400.00 price you paid. I say you did very well and got more than your money's worth.

Jack

#11 ·
This looks like one of the 1990s imports from the eastern bloc. The later dates, such as 1941, tended to be in the best condition and this one looks great. It was probably coated with a new, "brownish" tint finish by the eastern country and the bullseye grips are common easter bloc replacement grips. The magazines are not unknown among these imports and were renumbered to match this pistol so they are correct but not the factory originals. They are numbered in the police style. If you look on the left side of the chamber, over the partial serial number, you may see an "X" which indicates this was among the eastern bloc pistols post-WW2. This is a nice parabellum but is not factory original. It has been through some rework and revision.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.