Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 1939 dated mauser military and police lugers

Tom,
    Thank you for your kind remark. I had been looking for a nice Luger for quite a while, this one walked into the shop I work at. From an estate, the son didn't know or care about firearms, was his father's bring back from France. I asked if he would come back with information on his dad, unit, division, etc., I was hoping for some paperwork but nothing has materialized yet. A shame since this could immortalize his dad in a way.

I thought today I would redo some pic's of A 1939 S/42 military police luger SN 6915 n, And add them here but I still need more work on my skill level.

Steve,
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Adrian, They don't get much better than that! It's no wonder I'm having such a hard time finding a nice 1939 S/42, you have them. Best regards, Norm

Hello Jan, I just joined the forum, I found your post while trying to find out information on a newly acquired 1939 S 42 sear safety Luger. Your post was very informative and helpfull. I'm still trying to find out my pistols value. It's in about 96% condition all matching including magazine. The Luger came in an original 1940 dated holster with loading tool and spare black bottomed magazine

Jan,

Great post! I was able to gather lots of information from here....great work.

Thank you

I found all this info very helpful. thanks for your hard work and research. It helped me to choose the variant of luger I wanted. I now own 2 mauser 42s. Thanks!

Default I have a 1939 code 42.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan C Still View Post
    1939 DATED 42 CODE ARMY LUGER
    Figure 39. Left side view. 42 code-1939dated Luger, serial number 2233r. Note the exposed style of serial number placement and Mauser hump at rear of frame.

Figure 40. 42 code-1939 dated Luger, serial number 2233r. Serial number on the frame and barrel. Note: no letter suffix on the barrel. Note the lack of halo on the barrel serial number digits. This is typical of Mauser Lugers with blued small parts.

Figure 41. 42 code-1939 dated Luger, serial number 2233r. Right receiver and barrel details, showing large E/63 and E/63 acceptance stamps and late test proof (LTP).
    Figure 42. 42 code-1939 dated Luger, serial number 2233r. Complete with capture papers. Lt. John D. Gillis captured this pistol. He took binoculars off a dead German and another soldier removed this luger. At bivouac that night the other soldier traded the Luger for the binoculars. This is how Lt. John D. Gillis captured this pistol. The certificate for this pistol was signed over 63 years ago by Lt. John D. Gillis and his pistol is listed as Ger. Luger Ser. No. 2233 Model 1939. It was approved by Captain Infantry Lester V. Clinkenbeard of the 291Inf. Reg.

Figure 43. Details of capture papers.
    --------------------
    GEDC0233.jpgI have a 1939, Code 42, serial number 5545 that was given to me when I was stationed in Germany. It is missing the magazine and is severly pitted. Is it possible to find out the history of this pistol?

Jan, please make note of a nice S/42 1939 military that is serial number 3408n. That is the lowest "n" that I have seen that is an S/42 1939 example. Regards, Jim Cate

Jim
    Thanks for your information: 1939 S/42, sn 3408n. Its a lower serial number than I have recorded. Will appear in the color rewrite revision of Third Reich Lugers.
    Jan
    Jan C Still
    Site Owner - Operator

Jan, I'm way late for this thread but, I just bought my very first Luger, a code 42 R block serial number that I bought as a shooter. Thank you for all this info, from a complete novice.
    Steve

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast