Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New to the world of lugers

Default New to the world of lugers

Hi Jan and everyone,

I was trying to figure out where to introduce myself to the forum and I believe this is the right place.

I am new to both Luger collecting and forums in general. I have recently acquired a nice luger from my father-in-law who had it in his possession for 40+ years. There seems to be many experts in your forum and I must say I have viewed many beautiful lugers on this website so I decided to join in on the fun and see what it's all about.

The luger I have is a 1939 S/42 with all matching numbers. On the receiver it has the E/63 (one may be E/83) in two places along with the "drooped eagle" which is a couple of places and one the barrel as well. It has one magazine with the E/37 fxo P08 markings on it and no serial number on the bottom; it is just a plain aluminum bottom. The holster is black and has "DLU" 1940 with WaA727 stamped on the back between the loops and is in pretty good condition. It didn't have the takedown tool, but I have recently purchased an origninal with E/63 stamped on it and it appears in good shape.

Note: I am beginning to really like the "banner" lugers, they are becoming my favorites. So, I will be looking for one and if anyone knows of one out there on the market, please let me know.

Tim

Tim, welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have a nice Mauser, we would love to see some photos. It seems that you know what you have, the only thing I can add is the maker code on your holster is for Ewald Luenenschloss, Militaereffekten-Fabrik, Solingen. I have my eye on a Banner commercial, if I can't get the owner to deal to where I want to be I will be happy to pass his info on to you.
    "The only difference between us and the savages is the quality of our weapons"

Thanks Johnboy! I notice you live in Oklahoma (My favorite song is: "You're the reason god make Oklahoma" by David Frizzel and Shelly West. I used to live in Elk City back in 1980 and 81; worked on the oil rigs and then joined the Army in 83 and retired a few years ago. Where do you live in Oklahoma if you don't mind me asking?

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Timothey View Post
    Where do you live in Oklahoma if you don't mind me asking?

Tim
    Oklahoma City, born and raised. You were here in the last boom, Elk City and Sayre is hopping again (Boom2.0 in full swing). My favorite "Oklahoma" song is; Oklahoma, by The Call. JB

Tim, welcome to the forum, lugers and other old guns are great with their history

Ed
    Edward Tinker
    Co-Author of Police Lugers
    Co-Author of Simson Lugers
    Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I -- Vol II and Vol III - a collection of stories on guns & equipment brought back by GI's.

Thanks Ed. Nice to meet you online.

Tim

Nice one! Where did the spare wood come from?

I purchased a new set of grips from Numrich Gunparts just to put on it to handle and perhaps shoot occasionally.

JB,

The original grips are in the picture positioned to the left and right of the magazine. I tried to zoom in on the "39" that is stamped into each one, but the photo didn't turn out as well as I hoped it would.

Also, one grip has an "X" stamped on it and the other has a "D" stamped into it. Do you know if these are proof marks or acceptance marks or perhaps identification of the craftsman who built them? Also, the original grips appear to be varnished from the factory; do you know if this was a common practice back then?

Tim

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast