Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

What should I buy?

3K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  gfguns 
#1 ·
Hello all; I am not sure this is the correct forum to ask this question so please correct me if it is not. I mainly collect U.S Military weapons but I want to put a Luger rig from WWII in my collection complete with holster and two matching/correct magazines. In your opinion what would you buy if you could only have one representative piece? It would have to be 100% original and high conition 97% or better. Also what could I expect to have to pay for this one rig? Thank you. Greg 513.404.8295

#2 ·
Greg

Your going to get a mix of suggestions on this question.
I would go to the below link to first decide what I was after, then return to this question again. Simpson LTD is a retail place and better prices can often be had. They do have a large selection to choose from however.

Remember that most sellers rate their guns a bit high on finish.
Many of the two matching mag rigs have been forced matched so be careful, there has been a rash of bad holsters as well.

If you find something you like, post it here, we will be glad to help

Vern

http://www.simpsonltd.com/

#5 ·
I spent some time on Simpsons board and I think the WWII Mausers look like a good fit for me. That would be nice to get a 98% or better matching rig. $5,000.00 would be in the budget. I kind of liked the one at the link below. Would this be a good representation of a Luger for a collection that was only going to include one?

http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_i...=2032&osCsid=9ee3983004adf4f83c1253e3f95f30c2

#7 ·
Not a bad rig. 1939 code s/42 is not very common variation. Plum receiver is typical. I would advise to ask about condition of the grip straps though - finish on 1939 lugers not the strongest and they were used through the whole war!
Boris

#10 · (Edited)
Thanks All: I am learning a lot here. I understand that % of finish in the eye of the seller is usually exaggerated to the high side, I took another close look and I agree 98% is a bit strong. I am going to spend a little more time with my Axis Pistols Book tonight before I do anything. Also I will post here before buying. Thanks again. Greg

#11 ·
Greg, I personally do not think that that Simpson rig is worth the money. That is the price of a double matching mag rig, not a single matching mag rig. I would consider Whale's black widow rig he has for sale on the trader board. It is a lot cheaper and is a complete rig, unlike any single matching mag luger.

http://luger.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=17158

#12 ·
You haven't said "why" you want to own one. To me this is important to deciding what to buy. If you want the best investment certainly condition and rarity have always offered the best return. However, if you want to own, display, enjoy, and dare I say even shoot examples of various WWII guns you might make a different choice. For me I would rather have a 1911A1, p.38, Sauer 38h, Luger P. 08, and a Type 14 Nambu all in 90 - 95% and you could buy all five for the price of one 98%+ all matching rig. I am not saying a really nice rig isn't worth it. It might be a better investment, it just isn't my thing. Also, if you happen to be near Ohio, a trip to the Ohio Gun Collector Assn show/meeting would be a good way to get a hands on look at some real nice lugers.

#14 ·
Thanks wwiifirearms; I am interested as a collector that enjoys high condition pieces. I enjoy owning, studying and admiring them. I also like to show them off from time to time. I don,t sell very often but when I do I am interested in getting a decent return. Also thanks for your offer on OGCA but I am a current member and I try to never miss a meeting. My cell phone number is 513.404.8295 if you would like please give me a call next meeting (I only attend on Saturday) and I would be happy to introduce myself. Are you an exhibitor? Greg

#16 ·
Not to take this too far off topic, but I also try to make it to each OGCA on Sat. I set-up occasionally, and have done a display at every display show since about 2000. My displays won in 2004(wwii guns), 2006(wwi guns), and 2008 (training rifles). Last year I was the guy with the shooting range display of .22 military trainers. Getting somewhat back on topic. This years theme for the May Display show is "Guns of the World". How cool would it be to have someone do a display of lugers with one from every nation that used them? Think anyone on the forum has tried to collect one from each nation? I wouldn't even now how many that would be. Maybe this will be the next objective in my long list of twisted gun collecting obsessions.
-Ray
PS - This is Ray Jr. some may now my father as well who is also in the OGCA.

#17 ·
I do remember the training rifles display(very nice). If you do a Luger display I might have 1 (one) to offer. Thanks all for your help, I think I am going to drop the hammer on a Luger. I will post some pictures tomorrow and see if I can get some expert opinions. Thanks Greg

#19 ·
I think I found one. "42" 9097h rig

What does anyone think of this one?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.