Thread: Help with ID of 1943 Hi Power

Default Help with ID of 1943 Hi Power

I'd appreciate any help with further identifying this pistol and establishing value. Blue book says about $500 due to being fairly common. Actually, I'd like to start shooting it and looking for concurrence (or non-concurrence) on Blue Book value. Thoughts and opinions welcome.

FN Browning Hi Power SN 76831a (mid to late 1943?)
    Full 6-digit matching SN on Frame, Slide & Barrel
    - Fixed Sight, not slotted for stock
    - Eagle S proofs on frame, slide, and barrel.
    - Barrel also has three dots in triangle pattern above SN, to left of Eagle S
    - Partial Triangle (2 of 3 sides) with circular mark in the center on left rear side of slide
    - No WaA proofs on frame or slide
    - Very small WaA14 proof on right side of barrel chamber (opposite side from SN)... needed magnifing glass to read it.
    - Indiscernible stamp, left side ahead of trigger guard. Appears to be top half of the letter "R"
    - 5 separate stamps on butt of frame. Only letter "E" is readily discernible. Here are my best guesses on the other stamps: Two oval stamps with marks (possibly number "6") in the center. One is a weak stamp, the other stronger. Inverted letter "T". Letter "R".

Other information:
    Two Magazines - no markings of any kind on either
    Holster stamped inside "Made in Belgium" , non-matching SN.

Background. Swaped my wife's grandfather a brand new 410 OU shotgun for it 18 years ago. He was a WWII Vet... drove a tank retriever in Europe from D-day until just after VE day. Regret I never asked him for additional background on this pistol.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dear Sir:

Nice looking High Power. I would to give you $500.00 for it! heh, heh!

My High Power is only 192 number away, #77023a.

I do no think the holster is correct for this pistol as I believe it is post war.

Nice High Power though.

Regards,

George

The holster is a post war German police contract holster.
    Charlie

Also, you will note the the pistol, even though it has the military test proof, does not have the WaA marking which indicates that it was not finally accepted by the German military. One viewpoint is that is was for the commercial market. In any event, not too many of these are seen. Looks like the magazines are late war German. Recently those type of mags have been selling for around $200 each. The pistol is worth about $1,000 and up, depending on condition.
    Last edited by cpw; 04-24-2009 at 04:36 PM.
    Charlie

I'm interested if it's for sale or trade. Send me a PM or e-mail [email protected].
    Tim H.
    When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
    ---Thomas Jefferson, 1808

Default Correction: both mags do have markings

Initially I indicated neither mag had any markings. Got a new pair of glasses on Saturday and behold... found markings on both mags. One has what appears to be either a square or letter "D" with a letter "O" in the center. The other has a two-sided triangle with mark in the center. This is very similar to the mark found on the left rear side of the slide. Anyone know what these markings indicate? Would it have been appropriate to have mixed marked mags with this hi-power?

Appreciate all of your feedback on this HP so far. Sorry about the "short-sight" on the mag markings on the first post.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The order of (rarity) of markings are

WaA613
    WaA103
    WaA140
    No WaA markings (the most common)

Considering the serial number of your Hi-Power, the propr mag would be the ones without WaA markings.

The meaning of any other markings are unknown - perhaps they were control type marking ie: it passed thru my station.

I have never seen a magazine marked with the type of marking found on the left rear of the slide. Always possible though.
    Charlie