Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1914 Mauser serial #1

Default 1914 Mauser serial #1

This is a Mauser 1914 that turned up at a local show. It is serial #1, and looks 100% original to me. It is police Unit marked once on the side xxxed out, and also on the front strap. Each Unit mark ends in 1.

Was there any separate contracts in their own serial range ??? It is Not a Humpback !

Edit ; I just noticed that Bob Simpson has a serial #1 1914/34 transitional.

If real that would make three separate serial No. 1 Mausers, A humpback, and these two examples ..... Is there any #2 to say 100 serial numbers known ???

If not, They would certainly seem suspect as a serial number block. Bob says in his ad, his might be a special purpose gun. Does that make sense for two serial # 1 Pocket Mausers??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by signalman; 08-08-2009 at 08:40 PM.

another
    Attached Images Attached Images

Do you think that it could have been ordered in a seperate run requiring its own serial range for the police designate.

That occured to me, but..

I checked Bob simpsons web site after I posted, and he also has a 1914/34 Transitional, also serial no. 1. It also is obviously not a humpback. So now we have 2 possible contracts.

How come I have not seen any No.2 to 100 serial numbers (that are not humpbacks) if these are contracts they must have some higher numbers that must have turned up somewhere?? have you seen any?

If real, what are they, special purpose guns ???

I would suspect that Lou Picilla had a thing to do with this dubious marked number 1 as he did several jobs on serial number 1. Namely, P.Mpd.37, P.Mod27, byf41, and some others long forgotten. Sorry, kk
    Government is the only enterprise in the world which expands in size when its failures increase. kk

For those who knew Lou Picilla or knew of Lou, he died three weeks ago from a brain tumor. I only knew him from the Pittsburgh gun shows and knew nothing about his notoriety with altering pistols. I never owned a pistol until ten years ago and he was very helpful in sharing his "honest knowledge". with me.
    Thanks for reading, Joe
    Last edited by english; 08-09-2009 at 03:57 PM.
    JOSEPH MAY

For those who knew Lou Picilla or knew of Lou, he died three weeks ago from a brain tumor. I only knew him from the Pittsburgh gun shows and knew nothing about his notoriety with altering pistols. I never owned a pistol until ten years ago and he was very helpful in sharing his "honest knowledge". with me.
    Thanks for reading, Joe
    JOSEPH MAY

I do know this 1914 had nothing to do with Lou, This pistol, a Factory Engraved and cased 1934 Mauser, and several other neat guns are coming from a Florida estate of an old time collector. I have been lucky enough to get two of them, Including the 1934, and this 1914 which I bought today. I hope a few more will turn up in a couple months are so.

I do appreciate the warning though about Lou's fantasy items comming up for sale, and will be very carefull about what I pick up.

Good Collecting, signalman.

If I'm not mistaken, I saw the same pistol,1914#1, at a local gun store in Pgh..It had a broken shoulder holster that came with it. Boy, if it's the same one, it sure gets around.
    Last edited by english; 08-09-2009 at 07:31 PM.
    JOSEPH MAY

Turps, I wonder, Exactly which shop did you find this exact gun in, in Pitts., especially since this one has been in Florida for ages...

I would like to contact the owner to see if he still has his pistol, and can describe it, maybe he has a photo of it. Maybe the police markings were different. It could solve this puzzle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast