Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

Imperial Take Down Tools

77K views 272 replies 47 participants last post by  Brandon M 
#1 ·
In response to Klaus's request of yesterday for photos of Imperial tools, I am posting photos of two of mine, both unit marked.

Attachments

See less See more
#33 ·
Klaus:
Here's one that I just got with a 1916 LP08. Is there a chart anywhere that shows all of the gothic letters with their present day counterparts? Most of the references simply say C/Gothic Letter. It would be nice to be able to say C/Gothic B for instance.

Thanks.

Neil

Attachments

#35 ·
Hi Klaus,
After looking at the chart you posted for Neil, I'm confused. The letter on my tool and in the attachment you posted regarding mine seem to be C/J. The horizontal line completely dissects the letter. I'm just wondering if you mistakenly typed "I" instead of "J"?
I appreciate the help.
Best regards, Don

#37 ·
Klaus:
Another observation. On my 1916 LP08, the acceptance marks are C/H, C/S and C/S, per your letter chart (see photo). Notice that the crown on the C/H only has three lobes, while the C/S crowns have four lobes. Is there any significance to this?

Thanks.

Neil

Attachments

#39 ·
Neil,
I observed that the C/H on DWM is all times with the three lobes and we can find the C/S with three lobes on DWM Lugers from 1917 on. The first three tools on the pictures are DWM tools.

We can find also C/H and 2 different (and underlined) C/S acceptance stamps with the three lobes crown on Erfurt receivers. But they have Erfurt shape and are all times in the white. The last three pictures are showing these Erfurt tools.

Dave Lindsay wrote me in an email that he finished his artikel about the tools. He will write in in AUTOMAG in January or February.
Sorry for my poor English.

Attachments

#41 ·
During the Imperial time I and J were used both with the same meaning (I fear it is poor English).
Regards Klaus

Thanks, Klaus! I should have remembered that from the regimental unit marks - R.I.R. , R.J.R. .
As many others have posted over the years, your knowledge and use of the English language are fine. I wish that the US put as much emphasis on learning second languages as does the rest of the world. I took a couple of years of Spanish in high school and just barely remember ANY of it. This on top of living in Texas my entire life!
Keep up the good work, my friend.
Best regards, Don

#43 ·
No mention of any tools in any surviving records or literature, and certainly no "flaming bomb" marked pieces. The so called "flaming bomb" was a DWM inspector's mark used on guns, so it wouldn't show up on any accessories.

#45 ·
I need a little help:
On the picture are 2 DWM tools with the C/F acceptance.
Both tools do NOT have file marks on their edges.
That is very unusual because all other Imperial accepted tools seem to have the file marks.

I may ask the members to look at their C/F accepted tools for the file marks.
Thank you for your time and help.

Attachments

#49 ·
Hi Klaus,
Wasn't sure if you wanted photos of just DWM tools or not. Here are some photos of the later Erfurt tool (C/I - C/J) you identified for me earlier. I still haven't got the cropping thing down yet, but the pics should magnify. Thanks for all of your research/help.
Best regards, Don

Attachments

#58 ·
Ed, yes it is the DWM J. Interesting is that the hatching on the front are all times cross from left to right as on the tools of the added photo.
There is another DWM tool with C/F. This C/F tool is close to the C/J tool but there is mostly a letter or a number on the top of the C/F tool. There are some other things like the different crowns to distinguee both tools.
Regards
Klaus

Attachments